Another in a growing list of Martial Arts nodes

I hope this goes without saying, but don't use this maneuver, except for situations in which you or your loved ones are in danger of a great deal of physical harm, or if you are a professional boxer, in which case you probably do not need to read this node.

The shovel hook, also known as the shovel punch or scoop punch, is a quick yet relatively weak strike. The name shovel hook is somewhat misleading, as the punch resembles an vertical uppercut more than a hook. It is thrown from a lower position, with the elbow nearly at the hip of your leading leg and the fist in line with the horizontal center of your opponent. The fingers of the fist should be pointed upward, with about a 30 degree angle between your chest and forearm. The punch is thrown straight forward, and the force of the blow is maximized by quickly extending your elbow. The fingers remain upward as the punch is thrown, and as contact is made. The most common targets are the face and the area just below the sternum.

The major advantage of the shovel hook is the fact that the elbow can be quickly pushed upward to block any oncoming swings or horizontal hooks. It also tends to land inside the opponent's defenses, and is especially useful against those who keep their arms in a high defensive position while fighting, and those who are more accustomed to blows that swing inward or move in a straight line, such as students of Karate. The disadvantage of the shovel hook is that it is somewhat counter-intuitive, and difficult to throw with a substantial amount of force. In The The Tao of Jeet Kune Do, it is suggested that you move your leading leg inward somewhat before you strike, then step forward sharply with your rear leg as the shovel hook is thrown, while simultaneously stepping back outward with the leading leg, in order to deliver the blow with a greater amount of force.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.