The medical condition of suddenly increased pressure to the whole head due to massive quantities of mucus filling up the sinal passages. This condition has caused the most gruesome demise of many a valiant Kleenex or handkerchief who will allow themselves to be coated or filled with this infected snot for the relief of the afflicted person.

Characterized by wild amounts of pain in the face or like a headache, postnasal drip, and really disgusting colored snot (think the yellow and green on your can of Mountain Dew).

This condition may happen to one or more of the facial sinuses. It can be caused by abnormalities in the sufferer's physiology (small sinus clearing passageways), the common cold, and-or blowing your nose too hard.

Try a couple Sudafed, a couple Advil, and a humid environment (like sticking your head over a bowl of really hot water). Don't use affrin-type stuff; the rebound effect will murder your sinuses.

Oh, and this condition really, really hurts. Infection of the upper sinuses leads to monster headaches, infection of the lower sinuses causes toothaches and facial pain. So be careful when blowing your nose.

In addition to not blowing your nose too hard, don't hold in a sneeze, and don't fully occlude one nostril when blowing your nose (sometimes when you have a cold, this is so effective that you can't not do it... just don't do it too often).

Colored snot alone is not indicative of a sinus infection - this can result from a cold virus, or even allergies. Excruciating and/or long-lasting facial pain is generally the hallmark. If it lasts longer than two weeks, go see a doctor.

Having been a long-time sufferer of this condition, I can recommend a particular neti mix. The usual is straight saline (1/4 tsp salt to 8 oz water). I've found that with the addition of xylitol (1 to 1.5 tsp to 1/4 tsp salt), tea tree oil (2 drops to 1/4 tsp salt), and providone-iodine (0.5 cc or ~15 drops to 1/4 tsp salt), I can actually knock my chronic sinus infection into remission for some number of days or weeks (basically until the next time something irritates my nose and the bacteria throw a party again).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.