For those of you who don't know about the six degrees of separation, it's a theory that everyone is connected by six people, i.e. your friend has a friend who has a friend who has a friend who has a friend who has a friend who's your friend.

I'd heard about the six degrees of separation theory, but before a little trip to Washington, D.C. with my friends, I had no idea how much fun it could be. We all went together through a program with my college, so we had to take a bus to get there. From Baltimore, where my college is, it's about an hour to D. C., so we occupied ourselves by, you guessed it, playing the six degrees of Kevin Bacon, the guy the theory started with since he's supposedly in so many movies. Using the theory this way, you would connect Kevin Bacon to say Tom Hanks in Apollo 13 to Meg Ryan in You've Got Mail to someone else to someone else until the sixth person you list was also in a movie with Kevin Bacon.

Well, it started with just Kevin Bacon, but that got a little tough, so we expanded to all film actors, connected to each other and not to themselves, and it got pretty interesting...

Take a look at some of the six degrees or less we came up with and see if you can connect them yourself (answers are at the end, so don't look until you're sure you want to). Keep in mind that the rules say you can only connect them through movies, not TV shows or Broadway plays etc, and they must have a role in the film, not be a producer etc. If you're not a film buff you might have some trouble, but give it a try anyway. Enjoy!

Haley Joel Osment to William H. Macy

Rosie O'Donnell to Tupac Shakur

Andie MacDowell to Molly Ringwald

Craig T. Nelson to Adam Baldwin

more coming soon!






answers:
Haley Joel Osment to Bruce Willis (Sixth Sense) to Nick Nolte (Breakfast of Champions) to John Cusack (Thin Red Line) to Philip Baker Hall (Cradle Will Rock) to William H. Macy (Magnolia)
alternately,
from Haley Joel Osment to Kevin Spacey (Pay it Forward) to Annette Bening (American Beauty) to Martin Sheen (The American President) to Harrison Ford (Apocalypse Now) to William H. Macy (Air Force One)

Tupac to Janet Jackson (Poetic Justice) to Eddie Murphy (Nutty Professor 2) to Dan Aykroyd (Trading Places) to David Spade (Tommy Boy) to Rosie O'Donnell (A Very Brady Sequel)
alternately,
from Dan Aykroyd to Greg Kinnear (Loser) to Tom Hanks (You've Got Mail) to Rosie O'Donnell (A League of Their Own)

Molly Ringwald to Andrew McCarthy (Pretty in Pink) to Helen Hunt (Only You) to Jack Nicholson (As Good as it Gets) to Michael Keaton (Batman) to Andie MacDowell (Multiplicity)

Craig T. Nelson to Alec Baldwin (Ghosts of Mississippi) to Jon Voight (Pearl Harbor) to Paul Walker (Varsity Blues) to Tobey Maguire (Pleasantville) to Rip Torn (Wonder Boys) to Adam Baldwin (How to Make an American Quilt)

Put your movie buff friends to the test. Don't just play six degrees of Kevin Bacon, play x degrees of anybody. You and a
friend each pick an actor. You then see who can link them the fastest, or with a set time limit in the least number of links.
Or you can turn it into a real party game.This game requires a Movie Bible of some sort like the Video Movie Guide, or some
such thing. Make 2+ teams with 3+ players per team. Each team starts with 100 points. They
ante 5 points into the "pot," then 2 teams each name an actor. The teams then separate for 5-10 minutes, or 2 minutes after
a team calls 'time' or some variation. Then it is played like Poker. The team that called 'time' or some other predetermined team raises, and the next team match and raises, or folds, or calls. The team that made the conection with the fewest links (and didn't fold) gets the pot. In the event of a tie, either split the pot or do some other quick tie breaker. Verification of links can be played like Scrabble's 'Challenging' rules, where you must risk so many points to open the Bible to verify a link, or you can scrutenize all links. The game can be over once one team gets all the points, after one team gets x points, after so much time, or after so many rounds. This game often gives the ultimate bragging rights to some very unlikely victor.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.