Slag: v. To bitch about. To dissect with the aim of disparaging. To sneer at.

Usually done to bands one thinks are twinkies or bands that you don't know anything about, except that looking down on them will give you the appearance of being cool. Also done to Microsoft, with good cause.

Transforms from dinosaur to robot and back!

DINOBOT: SLAG

FUNCTION: DINOBOT FLAMETHROWER
"I have no need for friends, even less for enemies."

Enjoys melting enemies into pools of liquid metal. Like his fellow dinobots, resents authority. Disruptive--often brawls with comrades. Shoots 3000ºC flame up to 80 feet from mouth. Enormous strength--can shatter a brick building with head. Uses electron blaster in Dinobot mode. Rash, not too bright. Nasty, mean-spirited--often the other Autobots won't help him when he's in trouble.

  • Strength: 9
  • Intelligence: 4
  • Speed: 3
  • Endurance: 9
  • Rank: 4
  • Courage: 7
  • Firepower: 8
  • Skill: 7
Transformers Tech Specs


Slag, a triceratops in dinosaur mode, was one of the snazzier-looking Dinobots, but didn't get featured much in the cartoon. He was given speaking lines, occasionally, and enjoyed some prestige as a flamethrower until the cartoon animators decided to give fire-breathing to the rest of the Dinobots as well. But among the Dinos, only Grimlock had more pointy bits (well, unless you count Snarl's plates), and he was and is well-loved.

Slag is the metal "ashes" that are left on top of a weld when using a stick welder. It is like a layer of very porous metal that is weak and brittle. I've always taken a sharp hammer and hit the slag to knock it off the weld. I don't know the purpose of this or if the slag is supposed to be there because I am a bad welder.

I worked a summer stint at Birmingham Steel down in Birmingham, AL during college. Birmingham Steel recycles junk iron and steel and makes it into rebar. Their smelting schedule was fairly regular and if I got to work just before 7am, they would have just drawn off a load of slag from the electric-arc furnace.

Their technique for disposing of the slag was to back a regular dump truck up to the slag removal port of the furnace and pour the molten slag into it. Then some brave soul would drive the dump truck around to the rear of the plant and dump it out in a slag pit. Keep in mind that slag is molten, burning, flaming waste. Now imagine watching a dump truck drive by, a 40 foot high pillar of flame pouring out of the back of it, and a lone steel plant worker with balls of steel in the driver's seat.

I dunno if OSHA approved of this ..

Slag as a historical resource

As well as being the waste removed in the smithing process described above (smithing slag), slag is the waste material produced in smelting. This material has a pivotal importance in the field of Archaeometallurgy, the study of the Archaeology of metal production. In archaeometallurgy the interest has primarily been in to Iron and Copper (Bronze) production (althought lead, tin and zinc smelting is also the subject of research) due to their pivotal importance in human development.

The basis of metal smelting is to take a metal rich ore and chemically reduce this at high temperatures, leading to the seperation of a metallic phase and a slag phase. The slag is formed of all the components of the ore/furnace system that are rejected by the metal. Thus the metallic phase will consist almost exclusively of the primary metal and some siderophile elements, leaving the slag with a virtual encyclopedia of chemical information about the smelting process in the form of silicates (Assuming that the initial ore, like most of the planet, is rich in silicon). The slag is therefor a liquid record of each individual metal producing smelt that is then rejected as waste.

Techniques you can apply to slags

The development of the blast furnace forms the end of the main period of interest to archaeometallurgy, since from this point on the slag produced is formed in a glass phase. Previously slags typically formed a crystalline material that can be viewed as an artificial lava, allowing all the techniques of Geology to be applied to it. There are huge advantages to using slags in archaeological study, since they avoid all the problems of destructive analysis that usually plague artefact science (fundamentally no-one cares what you do with slag, you can crush it and stick it in machines that go ping) and further, it is almost always completely untouched since the day it was formed.

The process of metal smelting

An archaeological furnace typically consists of a clay furnace, ore, charcoal, bellows tubes(clay tuyeres) and smelting additives (our ancestors were not necessarily sensible and added all kinds of oddities). Basically an iron furnace consists of a closed bowl of clay in which you funnel charocal and ore while continuously adding air. The air increases the rate of charcoal combustion resulting in an increase in temperature and highly reducing chemical conditions (the charcoal sucks the oxygen out of the ore and converts it to carbon dioxide). The reduction converts the ore to metal and slag, which then mixes with the molten charcoal (typically rich in calcium) and clay (typically a complex silicate).

Most iron manufacturing process have a mechanism for releasing the liquid slag mid-smelt, termed tapping, to improve the rate of metal production, this liquid slag then crystalises as it leaves the furnace forming an artificual rock that looks very similar to hawaiian lava. The main crystal component in Copper and Iron slags is Fayalite (Iron olivine, Fe2SiO4), and in the case of Iron slags this is accompanied by various iron oxides (FeO, Fe2O3 and Fe3O4), By judging the slag mineralogically (in terms of the iron content and oxidation state of the crystals) we can get an estimate of smelting efficency (how much iron was left behind in the slag), temperature of smelting and the oxidation conditions in the furnace.

Thus if you want to know how the Romans built the modern world, go find a slag pit in Italy. If you stick that waste in a machine that goes ping it will tell you far more than a fat tome by Plutarch ever will.

Slag (?), n. [Sw. slagg, or LG. slacke, whence G. schlacke; originally, perhaps, the splinters struck off from the metal by hammering. See Slay, v. t.]

1.

The dross, or recrement, of a metal; also, vitrified cinders.

2.

The scoria of a volcano.

Slag furnace, or Slag hearth (Metal.), a furnace, or hearth, for extracting lead from slags or poor ore. --
Slag wool, mineral wool. See under Mineral.

 

© Webster 1913


Slag (?), n. (Metal.)

A product of smelting, containing, mostly as silicates, the substances not sought to be produced as matte or metal, and having a lower specific gravity than the latter; -- called also, esp. in iron smelting, cinder. The slag of iron blast furnaces is essentially silicate of calcium, magnesium, and aluminium; that of lead and copper smelting furnaces contains iron.

 

© Webster 1913


Slag, v. i. & t. [imp. & p. p. Slagged (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Slagging.] (Metal.)

To form, or form into, a slag; to agglomerate when heated below the fusion point.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.