Sleet is the precipitation (or raining) of very fine, half-frozen bits of ice. Kind of like falling slush. When raindrops fall from the sky, they pass through several different layers of air, each at a different temperature. If certain conditions are met and the temperature is just right, the raindrop will only half-freeze and turn into sleet. What usually occurs (especially in the summer months) is the cold layer of air turns the water droplet into supercooled water, or freezing rain. Alternatively, sleet sometimes becomes hail. Sleet usually falls mixed with rain or with snow, and occurs in borderline freezing temperatures, such as early Spring or late Fall.

Sleet occasionally (not often) is created by a falling snowflake melting in a warm layer of air, and re-freezing again before the snowflake is completely melted.

Sleet can leave an icy coating on cool exposed surfaces, such as metal (your car); however, freezing rain is more often associated with this and is much more dangerous - especially to aircraft.

Sleet (?), n. Gun.

The part of a mortar extending from the chamber to the trunnions.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sleet, n. [OE. sleet; akin to MHG. slz, slze hailstone, G. schlosse; of uncertain origin.]

Hail or snow, mingled with rain, usually falling, or driven by the wind, in fine particles.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sleet, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Sleeted; p. pr. & vb. n. Sleeting.]

To snow or hail with a mixture of rain.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.