This unusual method of cooking tomatoes was shown to me recently by a chef I have known for years. She has them on her new menu and the customers really love them. If you can manage the effort in the kitchen, I am sure you will too.

The tomatoes are first peeled, then hot smoked, using a tea smoking mixture. It is surprisingly easy to do this at home, and once you have mastered this simple technique, you can try smoking all sorts of different ingredients.

Smoked tomatoes make a lovely addition to an antipasto platter, or they can be roughly chopped and tossed through freshly cooked pasta with fresh herbs. Place them alongside roasted meats, or on top of bruschetta with fresh basil. Basically, you can do anything you do with a tomato, just with added flavour. What are you waiting for, smoke some tomatoes now!

Ingredients

  • 6 ripe tomatoes
  • Tea smoking mixture

    Method

    First peel the tomatoes. Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Cut a cross into the top of the tomatoes and plunge into the boiling water for 60 seconds. Scoop out the tomatoes and leave to drain. When cool enough to handle, slip off the skins, they should come off easily enough (use this method any time a recipe calls for peeled tomatoes).

    Set up your smoker, (I have a detailed description here) and bring up to heat. Place the tomatoes on a plate and set inside a steamer, covering tightly. Once the smoke is really going, set the tomatoes over the smoker and smoke for 10-15 minutes, according to how much flavour you want. I like them pretty smokey. Remove from the heat and serve. How easy is that?

  • Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.