<

Spondylolisthesis occurs when a vertebra in your lower back slips forward onto another vertebra, causing chronic back pain and huge discomfort basicaly it is not cool. It is the result of: stress, degeneration, or hyperextension from things likegymnastics, high kicks and other moves place huge stress on you back.

The most common form of Spondylolisthesis is a result of Spondylolysis.

Spondylolysis is either:

· a stress fracture, when the bone connecting the spine and the tail bone (other wise known as the pars interarticularis) is placed under repeated stress from highly physical activities, resulting in a crack that offen does not reform properly because of this, bone is left in a weaker state

· or it can be a result of a birth defect. Genetics is believed to play a part in this as well.

Both leave the pars interarticularis in a weakened state, and because of this the vertebra it is more likely to slip forward and develop into a Spondylolisthesis.

Both can be hugely painful, unnoticeable to the patient or anything in-between. It is usually aggravated by activities like weightlifting, contact sports, martial arts etc. They can both be treated by non-invasive means: though Physiotherapist rehabilitation work, anti-inflammatory drugs or braces. If you are severely affected, it can be operated on, by a process called decompression either with or without fusion of the bone. Decompression with fusion is recommended because it is less likely to result in repeat surgery, but the choice is made by your doctor to best suit each individual.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.