Band: Status Quo
  • Francis Rossi: lead guitar, vocals
  • Rick Parfitt: rhythm guitar, vocals
  • Andrew Brown: keyboards, vocals
  • John 'Rhino; Edwards: bass, vocals
  • Matthew Letley: drums

Around 1962, Alan Lancaster got some of his friends together into a jazz group, which became a beat group near London. The group went through multiple names, including The Scorpions, The Spectres, Traffic Jam, and others.

Eventually, the band reached some success with Pictures of Matchstick Men in 1968, a great song. Pictures of Matchstick Men failed to become too popular in the UK, but became a hit in the United States. Around 1970, the group became known as Status Quo, which it remains to this day. During the 70s, the band found more success with a "heavier sound"; more of a blues style became the status quo for the band (forgive the pun).

Down Down became Status Quo's first #1 hit single in the UK, and the band joined the ranks of those bands who will go down in history for making wondrous music. The band's popularity increased through the 70s and early 80s.

Unfortunately, by the late 80s and early 90s, Status Quo suffered a significant decrease in radio play. However, the band has survived through more difficult times, with internal disputes and the seeming inability of band members to stay on one continent.

Still, the band has managed to make many unique albums, featuring interesting album covers, such as one with a view of the denim bottoms of two of the members with their guitars. The band has also made many anthology albums, which have acheived moderate success.

References: 1. www.statusquo.com

2. www.statusquo.co.uk

3. www.quoratory.co.uk

Sta"tus in` quo" (?), Sta"tus quo". [L., state in which.]

The state in which anything is already. The phrase is also used retrospectively, as when, on a treaty of place, matters return to the status quo ante bellum, or are left in statu quo ante bellum, i.e., the state (or, in the state) before the war.

<-- usu. status quo -->

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.