A basement disco on Hennessey Road in Hong Kong. It stays open on weekdays until 0700, on weekends until 0800. Pretty much dead until 0300. Probably the sleaziest establishment in the Wan Chai district, and that's saying a lot.

An interesting fact is that although the gweilos who stumble into this place consume enormous quantities of alcohol, it's amazingly peaceful compared to other clubs in the area. I've seen people pass out and fall off barstools on many occasions but only once have I seen someone thrown out. (He was dragged from one of the booths in the back with his pants around his ankles so I don't think he was expelled for fighting.)

Strawberry is run by the same people who own La Bamba, which is about two blocks away on Luard Road.

The strawberry, like the blackberry and the raspberry, is a member of the family rosaceae, but differs from these other berries in composition. Raspberries and blackberries are clusters of tiny, complete fruits, each containing a seed, while the small "seeds" visible on the outside of the strawberry are individual fruits. The bulk of the strawberry is actually the base of the flower and is therefore a "false fruit."

The sweet, floral scent of the strawberry is probably the source of its Latin name, "fraga," which forms the root of the English word fragrance. The name strawberry may refer to the straying nature of the rambling plant; though Webster 1913 has a different explanation of the name, below.

Because strawberries grow along the ground, they can be sandy. The best way to clean them without bruising is to wipe gently with a damp paper towel. Rinsing them under running water can bruise the tender darlings. To store strawberries, place them in a single layer, unwashed, on a cookie sheet lined with a clean tea towel or paper towel, covered them with a second towel, in the fridge. They'll keep for a few days.

Strawberry - Fragaria vesca

(mountain strawberry, wild strawberry, wood strawberry)

The strawberry is a perennial plant, with the leaves and flowers growing on stalks directly from the rootstock, which also produces long runners. The leaves are light green in colour and the small white flowers appear during May and June. The red berry is actually the enlarged, fleshy receptacle which holds the seed-like fruits on it's surface.

The plant (rather than the fruit), is astringent, diuretic and tonic. An infusion can be used for diarrhea, dysentery and hematuria, as well as other urinary tract problems. Used internally and externally, it can be effective against eczema and acne. The juice makes a good refrigant for feverish illnesses, and an infusion may also be a good tonic for children and convalescents.

Straw"ber*ry (?), n. [AS. stre�xa0;wberige; stre�xa0;w straw + berie berry; perhaps from the resemblance of the runners of the plant to straws.] Bot.

A fragrant edible berry, of a delicious taste and commonly of a red color, the fruit of a plant of the genus Fragaria, of which there are many varieties. Also, the plant bearing the fruit. The common American strawberry is Fragaria virginiana; the European, F. vesca. There are also other less common species.

Strawberry bass. Zool. See Calico bass, under Calico. -- Strawberry blite. Bot. See under Blite. -- Strawberry borer Zool., any one of several species of insects whose larvae burrow in the crown or roots of the strawberry vine. Especially: (a) The root borer (Anarsia lineatella), a very small dark gray moth whose larvae burrow both in the larger roots and crown, often doing great damage. (b) The crown borer (Tyloderma fragariae), a small brown weevil whose larva burrows in the crown and kills the plant. -- Strawberry bush Bot., an American shrub (Euonymus Americanus), a kind of spindle tree having crimson pods and the seeds covered with a scarlet aril. -- Strawberry crab Zool., a small European spider crab (Eurynome aspera); -- so called because the back is covered with pink tubercles. -- Strawberry fish Zool., the amadavat. -- Strawberry geranium Bot., a kind of saxifrage (Saxifraga sarmentosa) having reniform leaves, and producing long runners like those of the strawberry. -- Strawberry leaf. (a) The leaf of the strawberry. (b) The symbol of the rank or estate of a duke, because the ducal coronet is twined with strawberry leaves. "The strawberry leaves on her chariot panels are engraved on her ladyship's heart." Thackeray. -- Strawberry-leaf roller Zool., any one of several species of moths whose larvae roll up, and feed upon, the leaves of the strawberry vine; especially, Phoxopteris fragariae, and Eccopsis permundana. -- Strawberry moth Zool., any one of several species of moth whose larvae feed on the strawberry vines; as: (a) The smeared dagger (Apatela oblinita), whose large hairy larva is velvety black with two rows of bright yellow spots on each side. (b) A geometrid (Angerona crocataria) which is yellow with dusky spots on the wings. Called also currant moth. -- Strawberry pear Bot., the red ovoid fruit of a West Indian plant of the genus Cereus (C. triangularia). It has a sweetish flavor, and is slightly acid, pleasant, and cooling. Also, the plant bearing the fruit. -- Strawberry sawfly Zool., a small black sawfly (Emphytus maculatus) whose larva eats the leaves of the strawberry vine. -- Strawberry tomato. Bot. See Alkekengi. -- Strawberry tree. Bot. See Arbutus. -- Strawberry vine Bot., the plant which yields the strawberry. -- Strawberry worm Zool., the larva of any moth which feeds on the strawberry vine.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.