Stripe is the evil, intelligent one in the movie Gremlins, so named for a tuft of white hair growing in mohawk formation out of his green little head. (Of course, the mohawk is visible even when he's a Mogwai...) (Thank you for sharing, goes the database...)
Hey, in my defense, this was only an attempt at E1-era node theft...

Stripe (?), n. [OD. strijpe a stripe, streak; akin to LG. stripe, D. streep, Dan. stribe, G. strief, striefen, MHG. striefen to glide, march.]

1.

A line, or long, narrow division of anything of a different color or structure from the ground; hence, any linear variation of color or structure; as, a stripe, or streak, of red on a green ground; a raised stripe.

2. Weaving

A pattern produced by arranging the warp threads in sets of alternating colors, or in sets presenting some other contrast of appearance.

3.

A strip, or long, narrow piece attached to something of a different color; as, a red or blue stripe sewed upon a garment.

4.

A stroke or blow made with a whip, rod, scourge, or the like, such as usually leaves a mark.

Forty stripes he may give him, and not exceed. Deut. xxv. 3.

5.

A long, narrow discoloration of the skin made by the blow of a lash, rod, or the like.

Cruelty marked him with inglorious stripes. Thomson.

6.

Color indicating a party or faction; hence, distinguishing characteristic; sign; likeness; sort; as, persons of the same political stripe.

[Colloq. U.S.]

7. pl. Mil.

The chevron on the coat of a noncommissioned officer.

Stars and Stripes. See under Star, n. <-- To earn one's stripes, to acquire recognized credentials by competent performance at a germane task. -->

 

© Webster 1913.


Stripe, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Striped (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Striping.]

1.

To make stripes upon; to form with lines of different colors or textures; to variegate with stripes.

2.

To strike; to lash.

[R.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.