Ingredients
  • 9 cups bread cubes (white is traditional, but experiment)
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 tsp ground sage
  • 1 tsp ground thyme
  • turkey giblets
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 4 ribs celery, chopped
  • Salt, Pepper to taste
  • water
Method
  1. Boil the turkey neck, heart and gizzard in water with salt and pepper until tender (up to 2 hours)
  2. Add the liver in the last 10 minutes
  3. Take the giblets off the heat and reserve the water
  4. Mix bread cubes, spices, and salt and pepper in a bowl
  5. In a saucepan melt butter, add 1/2 cup of the water from the giblets and saute onion and celery until cooked though
  6. chop heart liver and gizzard finely, remove all meat from the neck and discard bones
  7. Toss everything together in a large mixing bowl and refridgerate until ready to use.
Notes

Do not stuff the turkey until just before you put it into the oven. This breeds bacteria. Stuff the turkey just prior to putting it in. Start with the neck cavity and pin the skin to the back. Then stuff the abdominal cavity.

The temperature of the stuffing should reach 170 degrees F to be safe.

You can cook the stuffing outside the turkey if you put it in an a greased pan. Put it in the oven with the turkey during the last half hour of cooking and leave it for another 15 minutes after removing the bird (a roasted turkey should sit 15 minutes before carving). Medieval has suggested this leads to a dry bird and that one should at least put some diced celery in the cavities to provide moisture.

Stuff"ing, n.

1.

That which is used for filling anything; as, the stuffing of a saddle or cushion.

2. Cookery

Any seasoning preparation used to stuff meat; especially, a composition of bread, condiments, spices, etc.; forcemeat; dressing.

3.

A mixture of oil and tallow used in softening and dressing leather.

Stuffing box, a device for rendering a joint impervious where there is a hole through which a movable cylindrical body, as the paston rod of a steam engine, or the plunger of a pump, slides back and forth, or in which a shaft turns. It usually consists of a box or chamber, made by an enlargement of part of the hole, forming a space around the rod or shaft for containing packing which is compressed and made to fill the space closely by means of a sleeve, called the gland, which fits loosely around the rod, and is pressed upon the packing by bolts or other means.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.