Suàn Ní (蒜泥 - Chinese garlic relish)

Garlic is well-loved in many nations across the world. China's cuisine is no different. It is certainly a mainstay of most Chinese regional cuisines, although different regions can treat this vegetable differently.

In my experience, the farther south and/or west you go, the more likely garlic is to be mashed, oiled, and slightly aged. Conversely, the farther north/east you go, the more likely it is that the garlic will be served raw or pickled. In the North, it is often minced, sliced or even eaten as a whole clove.

For instance, in the north and northeast (as well as in other parts of the country), steamed dumplings are often eaten with a clove of raw garlic in one hand and chopsticks in the other in a ritual vaguely reminiscent of doing tequila shots: the diner dips the dumpling in soy sauce or bean vinegar, takes a bite of the garlic clove, takes a bite of the dumpling and chews.

Garlic is considered a bridge between the flavor groups (xián - savory), (xiāng - fragrant), and (là - piquant), and can be used for any combination of those kinds of dishes. Predictably, though, it is sparingly used in preparation of (tián - sweet) or (suān - tart) dishes.

One of the most basic preparations for garlic in Chinese cuisine is 蒜泥 (suàn ní), often called "garlic sauce". I consider it more of a "garlic relish". Its preparation is simple and the compound is useful as an additive for cooking (it makes a good base for 素炒 (sù chǎo - vegetarian stir-fry) vegetables and adds flavor to soups and la mian when added at serving time) or as a sauce for dipping (it is used widely when eating at Mongolian hot pot eateries, and northern-style dumpling houses.

Recipes vary including variations that are very oily (increase sesame oil or add vegetable oil), very hot (reduce aging time), or more pickle-like (increase vinegar). Wine vinegar or rice vinegar may be substituted for the Chinese bean vinegar, but don't do it.

Ingredients:

  • 1 head of garlic, peeled
  • 1/2 tsp black vinegar (香醋 - xiāng cù)
  • 2 tsp sesame oil (香油 - xiāng yóu)
  • 2 tsp hot water
  • a dash of salt

Preparation:

First, mash each clove of garlic with a meat tenderizing hammer, cleaver tip, kitchen hammer, or whatever blunt instrument you have handy. Cover with hot water and leave for 2-3 hours. Mince to 2-3mm-sized pieces and place in a small storage bowl. Stir in vinegar, sesame oil, and salt.

Store at room temperature overnight. Sniff frequently.

I have no idea how long it will stay fresh because I always use it before it goes bad, but keep refrigerated for best results.

unperson says garlic and oil preparations have a possibility of causing botulism if they're left to sit around too long. I certainly agree that one should be careful about how long one keeps this around, as with any fresh food.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.