Swarm is a multi-agent software platform for the simulation of complex adaptive systems. In the Swarm system the basic unit of simulation is the swarm, a collection of agents executing a schedule of actions. Swarm supports hierarchical modeling approaches whereby agents
can be composed of swarms of other agents in nested structures. Swarm provides object oriented libraries of reusable components for
building models and analyzing, displaying, and controlling experiments on those models.

A villain published by Marvel Comics. Swarm first appeared in Champions #14 in 1977.

It is the 1970's and America is in the grip of fear. Not from the Communist menace that sits on distant shores plotting its downfall. Not from the revelation that leaders in the highest levels of government may be corrupt. Not even from the sudden inexplicable fame of J.J. Walker, Erik Estrada, and The Love Boat. No, fear comes in the form of a group of tiny insects that are moving like a buzzing juggernaut from the depths of South America: the killer bees.

For years, America was told that it could expect to be overrun within a few years by a group of Africanized Brazilian bees who don't take crap off of anyone. They were reported to have stung to death a number of persons in South and Central America during the 70s and to have been migrating north toward our shores. Movies were made depicting the horror that would befall the U.S. when these bees with attitude arrived.

Never ones to miss out on a current affairs topic like this, Marvel Comics introduced Fritz Von Meyer, ex-Nazi scientist who had escaped to South America and begun experimenting with bees. The experiments involved exposing a swarm of bees to radiation from an uknown meteor. Von Meyer was obviously not a student of 1950's monster movies as anyone one who has spent anytime watching those knows that such experimentation will end badly. In Von Meyer's case, the bees grew in intelligence and savagery and began to sting him, even through his protective gear. The ray also caused the bees to trade in their pollenation fancy for a more carnivorous diet, as they began to consume his flesh. Von Meyer realized that his end was in sight, but at the last moment, he lashed out and grabbed the queen bee. With the queen in his control, the rest of the bees settled down and began to obey Von Meyer.

The result of the attck was that Von Meyer was now a being composed of bees surrounding his skeleton. Von Meyer's intellect still existed despite his lack of flesh and he decided to use his new form to attack the United States, because obviously that is what a guy composed of bees would do.

Von Meyer, who now called himself Swarm, attacked the headquarters of the short-lived Los Angeles superhero team, the Champions. Using large mutant bees that grown to the size of cows and streams of bees ejected from what used to be his arms, Swarm fought the likes of the Black Widow, Iceman, Hercules, and the original Ghost Rider. The fact that this rag tag group of heroes was able to defeat him, by capturing the queen from Swarm and tossing her far away so that the bees followed depriving him of a corporal form, shows that Swarm will never be challeging villains like Doctor Doom and Thanos for a spot as a major villain.

Months later, Swarm was revived by a bunch of intelligent scientists at Empire State University in New York who thought exposing the skeleton of a villain composed of bees to a bee hive was a good idea. Fortunately, one of the students at ESU is Peter Parker, the Amazing Spiderman. Spiderman fought the Swarm eventually defeating him.

The villain has not been heard of for many years, but whether or not he ever returns is still uknown. For in the immortal words of a famed bee expert: You never can tell with bees.

Swarm (?), v. i. [Cf. Swerve.]

To climb a tree, pole, or the like, by embracing it with the arms and legs alternately. See Shin.

[Colloq.]

At the top was placed a piece of money, as a prize for those who could swarm up and seize it. W. Coxe.

 

© Webster 1913.


Swarm, n. [OE. swarm, AS. swearm; akin to D. zwerm, G. schwarm, OHG. swaram, Icel. svarmr a tumult, Sw. svarm a swarm, Dan. svaerm, and G. schwirren to whiz, to buzz, Skr. svar to sound, and perhaps to E. swear. 177. Cf. Swerve, Swirl.]

1.

A large number or mass of small animals or insects, especially when in motion.

"A deadly swarm of hornets."

Milton.

2.

Especially, a great number of honeybees which emigrate from a hive at once, and seek new lodgings under the direction of a queen; a like body of bees settled permanently in a hive.

"A swarm of bees."

Chaucer.

3.

Hence, any great number or multitude, as of people in motion, or sometimes of inanimate objects; as, a swarm of meteorites.

Those prodigious swarms that had settled themselves in every part of it [Italy]. Addison.

Syn. -- Multitude; crowd; throng.

 

© Webster 1913.


Swarm, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Swarmed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Swarming.]

1.

To collect, and depart from a hive by flight in a body; -- said of bees; as, bees swarm in warm, clear days in summer.

2.

To appear or collect in a crowd; to throng together; to congregate in a multitude.

Chaucer.

3.

To be crowded; to be thronged with a multitude of beings in motion.

Every place swarms with soldiers. Spenser.

4.

To abound; to be filled (with).

Atterbury.

5.

To breed multitudes.

Not so thick swarmed once the soil Bedropped with blood of Gorgon. Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.


Swarm, v. t.

To crowd or throng.

Fanshawe.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.