Golf is very much a cerebellar activity. There is only so much you can focus on during any one swing. This is why golf takes so much practice to be good at. Expert players invariably report an inability to focus on more than one or two aspects of the swing at any one time. Novice players should take heart in this admonition. There is something to be emulated in this shortcoming. Each time you swing, try to focus on one thing you want to do.

There are so many things to be focused on: head position, connectedness of arms and shoulders, transition from backswing to downswing, tempo of takeaway, free application of wrist cock, weight position at address, weight shift, leg action, followthrough, ball position, feet alignment, toe alignment, hand position, grip pressure and strength, left thumb position, just to name a few. There's no way you can focus on all of these factors during a single swing. A great majority of them are going to have to be automatic. That's where your cerebellum comes in. You have so many of these factors imprinted on your own personal multidimensional automation DSP. Any factors you focus on will be taken out of the control of the cerebellum, and you'll have to think about them. Any factors you don't focus on will happen the way you work for them to during practice.

Unless I'm trying to respond to a lie condition, or work the ball, my usual swing thought is for a slow connected takeaway. This seems to set things up correctly so the cerebellum can make things happen.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.