It is not fluid
it is not flowing gowns
and sculptured curves

It is a mass of motion
waves on shore and wind in branches
sharp edges and urgent angles

This merging, this dance
is not a work of art

only passion

Tan"gle (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Tangled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Tangling (?).] [A frequentative fr. tang seaweed; hence, to twist like seaweed. See Tang seaweed, and cf. Tangle, n.]

1.

To unite or knit together confusedly; to interweave or interlock, as threads, so as to make it difficult to unravel the knot; to entangle; to ravel.

2.

To involve; to insnare; to entrap; as, to be tangled in lies.

"Tangled in amorous nets."

Milton.

When my simple weakness strays, Tangled in forbidden ways. Crashaw.

 

© Webster 1913.


Tan"gle, v. i.

To be entangled or united confusedly; to get in a tangle.

 

© Webster 1913.


Tan"gle, n.

1. [Cf. Icel. þongull. See Tang seaweed.] Bot.

Any large blackish seaweed, especially the Laminaria saccharina. See Kelp.

Coral and sea fan and tangle, the blooms and the palms of the ocean. C. Kingsley.

2. [From Tangle, v.]

A knot of threads, or other thing, united confusedly, or so interwoven as not to be easily disengaged; a snarl; as, hair or yarn in tangles; a tangle of vines and briers. Used also figuratively.

3. pl.

An instrument consisting essentiallly of an iron bar to which are attached swabs, or bundles of frayed rope, or other similar substances, -- used to capture starfishes, sea urchins, and other similar creatures living at the bottom of the sea.

Blue tangle. Bot.See Dangleberry. -- Tangle picker Zool., the turnstone. [Prov. Eng.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.