Tastykake is more than a yummy snack; it's a Philadelphia tradition. The Tasty Baking Company was started in 1914 with the intent of producing small, fresh, pre-wrapped cakes which could be bought at your local grocer. Marketed as "the cake that made Mother stop baking", Tastykakes were loved by busy women, who were able to provide their families with a delicious fatty snack without having to bake it themselves. Since then, the company has branched out into cupcakes, donuts, and other assorted lunchtime desserts, but the basic recipes of the original "kakes" have gone largely unchanged, as have the hometown spirit and friendly image of the company.

Tastykake is attempting to become a national outfit while maintaining its independence and hometown charm. So far, the company has managed to expand without being bought up by a bigger name, although they are experiencing some small financial growing pains. Hopefully, in 20 years, all of you will be able to enjoy the little taste of Philadelphia which I have with all of my lunches. Sometimes those Chocolate Cupcakes seem like the only constant in my life, and I'm sure other area residents feel the same way. Perfect for snacking after a hoagie or cheesesteak. :)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.