A seminal punk band that emerged from Los Angeles in the late 70s. Originally called Sophistifuck and the Revlon Spam Queens, a name which was discovered to be too long to fit on a t-shirt, the original lineup consisted of an enigmatic avatar known most often as Darby Crash on vocals. Lorna Doom supplied the bass, the wizard Pat Smear screeched out primitive guitar lines, and Belinda Carlisle, who would go on to be in the Go Gos, played drums.

The band went through some lineup changes, but Darby, Pat, and Lorna remained constant for the most part. They released one proper studio album, titled GI and produced by Joan Jett. Eventually they broke up and Darby Crash went to Europe. After he came back, they re-united for one last show, in December of 1980. 6 days later, Darby Crash injected a terminal amount of heroin into his bloodstream and overdosed. He was 22. He was found on the floor of his apartment, his arms splayed out in the shape of a cross.

The Germs are often hated as much as they are are adored. The fact of the matter is, however, that they were a wildly influential and utterly important punk band. Their music was primitive, primal, and often beautiful as well as insightful. Do yourself a favor and check them out, there's a good chance you won't regret it.

"I came into this world like a puzzled panther
Waiting to be caged."
- The Germs, "Manimal"

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.