Led almost entirely by David Gedge, The Wedding Present has put out, gosh, at least 8 albums, not including numerous singles collections and special releases. For fast loud pop british pop music (and nothing like that oasis big pants crap), give them a listen. David Gedge is now in a band called Cinerama, but the Weddos may still get back together.

Formed in 1985 and possibly one of the most enduring bands to come out of the C86 days (with the possible exception of Primal Scream), The Wedding Present was vocalist and guitarist David Gedge and a rotating lineup consisting of Peter Solowka (guitars, 1985-1991, went on to form The Ukranians), Keith Gregory (bass, 1985-1993, went on to form Cha Cha Cohen), Shaun Charmin (drums, 1985-1988), Simon Smith (drums, 1989-1997), Paul Dorrington (guitars, 1992-1995), Darren Belk (bass and guitars, 1993-1996), Jayne Lockey (vocals and bass, 1995-1997), Hugh Kelly (second drums, 1996), and Simon Cleave (guitars, 1996-1997). The song writing process was apparently a democratic thing, with everybody writing their own parts to match Gedge's singing and lyrics.

Starting on their own label, Reception Records, they've never been quite at home with any particular company. Since the dissolving of Reception in 1989, they've been on RCA (1989-1993), Island (1993-1995), and, finally, Cooking Vinyl (1995-present). They are the only band to have achieved 12 original UK top ten hits in the period of a year (the Hit Parade singles), a feat for which they are mentioned in the Guinness Book of World Records.

As for the origin of the band's name, Gedge has the following to say:

"I've always thought that The Wedding Present was an inappropriate name for a pop group--more like a poem, or a book or something--and therefore quite attractive (to me!). I've also always been fascinated by Weddings...those surreal performances where the audience plays an integral part--the joy, the sadness, the passion...all unfolding firstly in a house where God is served and ultimately in a house where beer is served...the knife inserted ritually into the virginal white cake to reveal the dark fruity interior...that ugly pagan concept of the father handing over his daughter to her new master...the mothers crying because they're losing a daughter, the page boys crying because they have to wear such stupid clothes...those embarrassing speeches and drunken uncles on the dance floor...I could go on and on!

"I used to be a huge Birthday Party fan and although I'd thought of 'The Wedding Present' about ten or eleven years ago, I decided it was a bit too similar and hence called the band I was in The Lost Pandas. By the time our first single came out in 1985, TBP were dead and gone so I felt more comfortable reverting to my original idea."

After their tumultuous line-up problems, the band finally packed it in. Their last show was played on January 18, 1997 at the Lomax in Liverpool.

Discography:

Perhaps one of the best features of TWP's jangly, excited pop was their covers which sounded more like actual Wedding Present songs than the originals.

Covers (song, original artist, where it appeared):

FYI: TWP have never (and, as it appears, never will) played a wedding or an encore.

Super maxi American love-style thanks to the Wedding Present FAQ at www.landfield.com/faqs/music/wedding-present-faq/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.