The art of railing refers to the art or study of using a high accuracy sniping weapon in first person shooter computer games. The term originated from, and in most cases refers to use of the railgun in Quake II and Quake III.

The railgun, and it's equivalents, are guns that fire an extremely powerful hitscan (instantaneous velocity) bullet with a relatively slow reload rate. Effective use of the weapon requires a lot of accuracy. Like many weapons if used properly the railgun can be a devestating weapon. However the distinction is that while with missile based weapons you can see it coming and dodge, the railgun has the potential to instantaneously deliver high amounts of damage over a theoretically unlimited distance, and the only truly effective method of defending against it is hiding.

With such potential, the railgun is the choice weapon of many good players. Although your average joe frag can use the railgun with a degree of effectiveness, a good player can be devestating with it. Subsequently the art of railing has evolved much more than its counterpart weapons. Many adepts consider it an entire aspect of the game.

All in all, the art of railing is all about achieving near-perfect accuracy. However being able to point and shoot is a lot harder than it looks, and there are hundreds of different methodologies and concepts involved in it. So much so that railing in itself is more of a gaming philosophy than a simple way of playing.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.