τηροπιτες

Tiropites (pronounced d(th)i-rop-i-d(th)-es) are a Greek traditional culinary dish, especially famous from around Cyprus. They are literally "three points", and as such are small, triangular pastries filled with (normally) feta cheese and herbs - spinach is common.

Made with puff pastry and filled with a generous portion of filling, they are cooked quickly in a hot oven to make then crispy and light, with a delicious aftertaste.

Brushed with a little olive oil beaten egg, they can be made in about 10 minutes. Kalon's tiropites quick guide (still to be tested by the way...) is:

Ingredients:

  • A few sheets of puff pastry
  • Some FRESH fetta cheese or similar strongly-flavoured cheese (haloumi comes to mind)
  • A small bunch of herbs/spinach/chilli (if you feel like a spicy treat...)
  • A brushful of beaten eggs
Preparation:

Couldn't be easier - mix cheese and herbs together in to a readily smoothable paste. Since virtually anything can be used to stuff this culinary treat, feel free to experiment. I once saw custard thickened with flour, then once finished, the tiropites were dusted with icing sugar! Once your filling is sufficiently spreadable and won't run all over the place, lay a few sheets of puff pastry on a baking sheet. Spoon a dollop of filling in to centre of fairly large sheet, and then fold the WHOLE sheet in to triangles - the overlap makes a great fluffing agent for the finished product. Once you have a fair few layers, cut off excess pastry. Brush BOTH SIDES with egg, and put in to a pre-heated oven at around 200 degrees Centigrade (sorry to those afflicted by Farenheit and Gas Mark...). After about 20 minutes (or after they turn a rich, golden yellow) remove and let sit for 2-5 minutes, although they can be left to cool fully.

Enjoy!

The raw product can be safely frozen for MONTHS on end, and the end product stored for a few weeks in an airtight container, but not refrigerated.


Spuunbenda added a few tidbits of corrections - Many thanks - Kaloste!
anthropod also says that filo pastry is used - and correct it is!

Update: server time: Saturday, September 14, 2002 at 05:30:57: Egg should be used instead of oliv eoil - for added shine and crispy pastry... Kaloste!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.