as i waited for her mother to arrive, i stroked her cheek and let her know that she was not alone. for the first twenty minutes, her chest heaved and she was wild-eyed, lips parted but with no sound escaping. of course there was no sound...
here was a girl 27 years old--a year younger than me, two weeks out of a monthlong coma with a trach and a feeding tube. here was a fighting spirit in a body that wouldn't cooperate.
and she was dying...
because she was a no code, all i could do was make sure she wasn't alone, ponder why a life had to end like this, hope that her mother was able to look into the eyes of her only child while some life still remained, wonder why hemorrhage had two Hs.
the mind tends to wander at times like this. it's a defense mechanism.
how can you not grow attached to someone you've tucked into bed every night? how can you not take personally the theft of a life that you have fought to maintain?
you can't. but you also can't break down in front of the the person who gave her the life that is draining from her.
and as the blood continued to flow, her breathing slowed, her eyelids lowered, her lips closed and she relaxed some the grip on my hand. then her mother came in the door.
i hugged her and had turned to leave the room when she asked me to stay. she was trying so hard to maintain composure as she spoke to her child, the love of her life. bent to her daughter's ear, she whispered 'i love you'.
and a life was gone.
i finished my shift, gave report to the oncoming nurse and cried the entire drive home.
at home, i picked up a magazine...
more dying children--leukemia. cancer. as i stated last night, the crumbling of the temple of the soul.
i turned on the t.v.--more for noise than anything else. i was thinking for a minute that my thoughts, screaming through my mind, could be drowned out. a story on the news...
a man...
an innocent man--imprisoned for 27 years. with his family having moved on and basically no knowledge of life in this day, he is released. he has freedom, yes--but does he really? and the jurors who stated "what else were we to do?"--home in bed each night with their families, probably with little, if any memory at all, of the trial that resulted in the decision that deprived a man of everything except his very existence.
so, i write...
and yes i chose an overdone topic, seemingly, and i let emotion overpower reason. i think, though, that instead of or even before being attacked for what was perceived as an attack on my part, i should have been addressed. last night's node was not a challenge, was not an attack, was not intended as a flame war. it was merely the world, my world, at that moment, through my eyes.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.