Triple sec is an orange flavored liqueur that weighs in at 46 proof (23% alcohol). The name comes from the term "triple dry", though as anyone who has tasted it knows this is not true. Instead, with triple sec, it means "triple distilled" as a refined, white Curacao (a liqueur made from orange peel). Cointreau is considered to be high quality triple sec (80 proof).

Triple sec can be found in a substantial number of drinks though probably best known in the Kamikaze. Ingredients:

  • 1 oz Vodka
  • 1 oz Triple sec
  • 1 oz Lime juice

Something approximating the flavor of triple sec can be made:

  1. Peel zest from 2 of the oranges and set aside.
  2. Squeeze juice from all oranges into a measuring cup and add water, if necessary, to bring juice to 2 cups.
  3. Pour juice, sugar and zest into a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring often.
  4. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 more minutes.
  5. Set aside to cool.
  6. Pour cooled juice mixture and vodka into a jar, stir to combine and seal.
  7. Let steep 3-4 months.
  8. Strain and filter as needed to remove zest and sediment.

Another method for making citrus liqueurs:

  1. Find a glass container with an opening large enough to comfortably accept a medium size orange. The smaller the container the better.
  2. Invert a glass shot glass and center in the bottom of the container.
  3. Pour a cup of Everclear into the container without wetting the shot glass top.
  4. Place a fresh orange on top of the shot glass. The orange should have a moderately thick skin, but not excessive.
  5. Cover the container with a cap that fits as closely as possible.
  6. Check daily as the orange "sweats" its oils. It will slow after three or four days (a week is OK but not necessary). DO NOT OPEN AT ANY TIME untill done.
  7. Remove orange and shot glass and pour in a cup of bar syrup. This is to adjust the sweetness of the liqueur (personal preference).
  8. Pour into a regular bottle and stopper tightly.


http://gunther.simplenet.com/liqueurs/triplese.htm
http://www.webtender.com/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.