Truename is basically the soulname or the proper essence of a being. It often results in the invention of new words, but it necessary to describe a being or even a thing, truly and properly.

one such example... in reference to a dog i know, a dog that *looks* vaguely wolfish, and also looks vaguely like a wolfhound (one of the few remaining unspoiled, free breeds). this dog looks wild, looks like it has wolf-spirit, freedom, *life*. you *meet* this dog and it is as simpering, fawning, 'yes-master-what-can-i-do-for-you-now-master-you-are-wonderful-'ing a dog as i have *ever* met.

to describe the nature of this dog, this dog's essence, i do not refer to the dog by her name. nor do i call her 'the flat-coated retriever' (which she is) because these things do not *describe* her they do not capture her *essence*. whenever i refer to this dog i call her the 'hollow-wolf'... and anyone who understands the concept of essence or soulname *immediately* understands which dog i am talking about, even out of a large group of dogs.

when a truename is discovered, it becomes immediately apparent to the discoverer that there could not *be* another possible soulname for this person or creature or thing. it is *known* *felt* *sensed*, not intellectualized. when the word, the name, the phrase is so full of meaning and rightness in the context that it feels like it is going to *explode*just from the sheer energy and power and beauty contained in its truth, *this* is soulname *this* is truename...



soulname or truename (there called "true name" as two words) is additionally explained beautifully in a an otherwise completely mediocre book called "Wizard's Hall" by Jane Yolen. Its quite fascinating, if by far weaker than most of her other books...

TRUENAME is an undocumented command in the MS-DOS command interpreter starting with version 5.0. It is also present in the command interpreter packaged with Windows 95 and 98, but not NT or later.

TRUENAME interprets its argument as a partial path name and outputs the equivelent full path name, regardless of the actual existence of such a file. The period and double-period directory placeholders are expanded appropriately, and asterisks are expanded to question marks. A "/?" argument, standard in more recent versions of DOS to indicate a request for command parameter information, yields a totally unhelpful message.

I am not certain of the intended purpose of such a command.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.