Tzatziki is a traditional Greek dip consisting of yoghurt, chopped cucumber and enough garlic to kill a horse. Made with fresh youghurt and both crushed and cut garlic, the pieces of cut garlic in the dip make it not for the fainthearted, and the infused crushed garlic give it a kick that sends you back for more again and again. Often enhanced by a good hefty squeeze of lemon and cucumber.

Tzatziki is a very simple dip to make and is great accompanying a range of Greek dishes. Served usually as the main accompaniment to souvlaki (spiced skewers of (usually) lamb), but also marinated octopus, calamari or any food where the flavour and acid tang of the garlic will enhance the taste of the food.

Tzatziki is also often confused with aioli - a spiced mayonnaise dip infused with lemon.

Tzatziki is a Greek sauce made from yogurt, cucumber, and garlic. It makes an excellent dip with pita bread, and a delicious sauce for souvlaki or dolmades. It is extremely simple to prepare.

You will need:

What to do:

Optional: for a really rich thick sauce, place the yogurt in a cheesecloth-lined sieve over a bowl and let drain overnight.

Peel and grate the cucumber using the largest holes on a box grater, then place in a sieve and allow to drain for 15 to 30 minutes.

Combine all ingredients in a glass bowl, mix well, and refrigerate. Serve cold.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.