Ultros is a gigantic, talking octopus that is a recurring boss in Final Fantasy VI.

"Silence! You are in the presence of octopus royalty!"
Final Fantasy VI is a plot-heavy game, and most of the villains have motivations that involve complicated geopolitical or psychosexual motivations. Ultros is just an octopus that keeps chasing the party around, oblique to the rest of the game's conflicts. He is first encountered when rafting down a river, which is a normal place to encounter an octopus. He then reappears to fight the players in less likely places: in an opera house or flying through the skies during an airship battle. As a boss battle, he is not particularly difficult, especially since once of his special attacks is a blind attack, which due to a flaw in the game's coding, does nothing. After the midpoint of the game, when the players enter the World of Ruin, Ultros stops being an antagonist and instead becomes an NPC in the coliseum.

Final Fantasy VI has been a cornerstone for video game (specifically RPG) fans for almost three decades now. Many of the references that players enjoy sharing involve the game's serious plot, but the hammy and absurd Ultros is also a fan favorite.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.