Up"per (?), a.; comp. of Up.

Being further up, literally or figuratively; higher in place, position, rank, dignity, or the like; superior; as, the upper lip; the upper side of a thing; the upper house of a legislature.

The upper hand, the superiority; the advantage. See To have the upper hand, under Hand. Jowett (Thucyd.). -- Upper Bench Eng. Hist., the name of the highest court of common law (formerly King's Bench) during the Commonwealth. -- Upper case, the top one of a pair of compositor's cases. See the Note under 1st Case, n., 3. -- Upper covert Zool., one of the coverts situated above the bases of the tail quills. -- Upper deck Naut., the topmost deck of any vessel; the spar deck. -- Upper leather, the leather for the vamps and quarters of shoes. -- Upper strake Naut., the strake next to the deck, usually of hard wood, and heavier than the other strakes. -- Upper ten thousand, ∨ (abbreviated) Upper ten, the ten thousand, more or less, who are highest in position or wealth; the upper class; the aristocracy. [Colloq.] -- Upper topsail Naut., the upper half of a double topsail. -- Upper works Naut., all those parts of the hull of a vessel that are properly above water. -- Upper world. (a) The atmosphere. (b) Heaven. (c) This world; the earth; -- in distinction from the underworld.

 

© Webster 1913.


Up"per, n.

The upper leather for a shoe; a vamp.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.