Smelly little pink, white, or otherwise pastel bars that smell like mothballs added to urinals in hopes of making them smell prettier. (How'd you like to put "Urinal Cake Salesman" on your tax return?)

Alas, if you pee on a UC, it will atomize the spray, causing a part of it to splash back upon your person. Thus, the odor is merely directed out into society at large.

Also known as a urinal biscuit, bowl mint, or urinal puck, along with any other number of synonyms for those mysterious smelly masses found in urinals.

A search of the MSDS archives tells us that these urinal cakes are technically called "DEODORANT,GENERAL PURPOSE,URINAL CAKE,A". They are described as a "WHITE CRYSTALLINE SOLID HAVING PENETRATING BUT PLEASANT CHERRY ODOR"

The main ingredient appears to be Para-Dichlorobenzene, which gives urinal cakes their distinct smell. This is chemically similar to the Naphthalene found in Moth Balls. The cakes are only 0.008% soluble in water, so they last a long time.

Bowl mints may have their hazards, though. Their flash point is only 150/66 degrees (F/C). The lethal dose of urinal cake is unknown, but acute exposure is know to case weakness, nausea and tremors upon inhalation. They are possibly carcinogenic to humans, but there is inadequate evidence.

Oh yeah, if you spill them, you are supposed to sweep them up and flush them down the toilet. Sure. That'll work. So if you see a toilet stopped up with 48 cakes, you'll know what happened.

Oh, and keep out of reach of children.

Am I the only one tempted by the vision of flaming urinal cakes?

I was trolling across the internet thinking I would try and have me a bit of fun with this title. Ya know, a real recipe with the ingredients I might use if I wanted to make a cake for that special someone to mark an occasion such as a birthday or anniversary. Much to my disappointment and lack of creativity, I couldn’t either find anything or come up with any ideas of my own.

While the question “Will eating a urinal cake kill me?” has been asked and answered, what about drinking one?

I did happen to stumble across the recipe for a cocktail that goes by the name of “Urinal Cake” though and I thought I’d share it with our readers.

Before I get to that, let me also state that as a frequenter of many a bar over the years, I’ve never heard of this and even if I did, I doubt I’d have the nerve to try it or to even ask for it. Somehow I just can’t picture myself saying something along the lines of “Hey bartender, the next round of Urinal Cakes is on me!”

Knowing the nature of my local haunt, I’d probably get tossed out on my ass…

So here goes.

Ingredients

  • 1 ounce of Amaretto
  • 1 ounce of Rum (recipe didn’t have a preference of which type)
  • 1 ounce of Sour Mix
  • ½ ounce of Triple Sec
  • That’s all it said. I’m assuming you shake that stuff up and pour it into a chilled martini glass to serve it neat or in a rocks glass if you prefer it over ice.

    As for me, I’ll take a beer and a shot every time.

    If anybody out there has actually sampled a “Urinal Cake”, feel free to shoot me a message about what the taste was like or how the hangover was the next day.

    Bottoms up!

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.