The amazing fastening system which utilizes a hook side and a loop side to provide a strong, modular, removable connection between two physical surfaces. It is best used when fastening thing such as remote controls, phones or other hardware to surfaces like computer chairs, clothing or walls.

Invented by the Swiss George de Mestral (1907-1990), it was patented in 1955. While walking his dog one evening, he bacame annoyed by the burrs that stuck tenaciously to his clothes and dog. He examined them under a microscope and found the myriad hooks of the burr caught on the loops of his wool sock. He realized that if he could replicate this method of fastening, it would be superior to the zipper. After eight years of trial and error, he finally had an automated manufacturing process that could make the loops at the required 300-per-square-inch density.

The name "Velcro" comes from a combination of "velour" and "crochet". The loop side of velcro looks like velour fabric under magnification, while the hooks are similar to crochet hooks.

Velcro is a trademark of Velcro Industries B.V., founded by George de Mestral to develop his invention. It is still an independent company, manufacturing hook and loop fastenings for automotive, industrial and consumer use. There is even "silent Velcro", developed and manufactured for the US Army.

The generic name for Velcro is hook and loop fastening.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.