velvet

To tip the velvet ; to put one's tongue into a woman's mouth.

To be upon velvet ; to have the best of a bet or match.

To the little gentleman in velvet, i. e. the mole that threw up the hill that caused Crop (King William's horse) to stumble ; a toast frequently drank by the tories and catholics in Ireland.

The 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue.

Vel"vet (?), n. [OE. velouette, veluet, velwet; cf. OF. velluau, LL. velluetum, vellutum, It. velluto, Sp. velludo; all fr. (assumed) LL. villutus shaggy, fr L. villus shaggy hair; akin to vellus a fleece, and E. wool. See Wool, and cf. Villous.]

1.

A silk fabric, having a short, close nap of erect threads. Inferior qualities are made with a silk pile on a cotton or linen back.

2.

The soft and highly vascular deciduous skin which envelops and nourishes the antlers of deer during their rapid growth.

Cotton velvet, an imitation of velvet, made of cotton. -- Velvet cork, the best kind of cork bark, supple, elastic, and not woody or porous. -- Velvet crab a European crab (Portunus puber). When adult the black carapace is covered with a velvety pile. Called also lady crab, and velvet fiddler. -- Velvet dock Bot., the common mullein. -- Velvet duck. Zool. (a) A large European sea duck, or scoter (Oidemia fusca). The adult male is glossy, velvety black, with a white speculum on each wing, and a white patch behind each eye. (b) The American whitewinged scoter. See Scoter. -- Velvet flower Bot., love-lies-bleeding. See under Love. -- Velvet grass Bot., a tall grass (Holcus lanatus) with velvety stem and leaves; -- called also soft grass. -- Velvet runner Zool., the water rail; -- so called from its quiet, stealthy manner of running. [Prov. Eng.] -- Velvet scoter. Zool. Same as Velvet duck, above. -- Velvet sponge. Zool. See under Sponge.

 

© Webster 1913.


Vel"vet, a.

Made of velvet; soft and delicate, like velvet; velvety.

" The cowslip's velvet head."

Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.


Vel"vet, v. i.

To pain velvet.

[R.]

Peacham.

 

© Webster 1913.


Vel"vet, v. t.

To make like, or cover with, velvet.

[R.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.