Transforms from helicopter to robot and back!

COMBATICON: VORTEX

FUNCTION: INTERROGATION
"I'm Vortex, fly me -- if you dare!"

Gives a ride to remember--in your nightmares! Takes Autobots on dizzying, death-defying flights to scare information out of them. As helicopter, goes 300 mph with a range of 1200 miles. Whirls rotor blades to create 200-300 mph wind funnels. uses semi-automatic glue gun. Combines with fellow Combaticons to form "Bruticus".

  • Strength: 4
  • Intelligence: 9
  • Speed: 6
  • Endurance: 5
  • Rank: 6
  • Courage: 7
  • Firepower: 7
  • Skill: 8
Transformers Tech Specs


Vortex was an authentic reproduction of a Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter who, unfortunately for such a satisfying war machine, had fat feet as a robot and a too-narrow profile as Bruticus's arm. Nevertheless, he was the most satisfyingly logical addition to the Combaticon team after Brawl. Too bad his counterpart was a space shuttle.

Vortex: A spiralling shape, a whirlpool, a vacuum that spins things inwards. A Cape Town rave crew/music production/outdoor entertainment company.

 

The Rave scene became significant in Cape Town around 1994 (this is reconstructed from memory: I remember returning from London in early 1993 all fired up and ready to Rave, and having to wait a while until the local scene got going.)

At the time it was mostly warehouse parties: a few hundred kids trying out the latest music, the latest clothes, the latest drugs, all Saturday night long. Two crews were the mainstays of the scene: Vortex and Pharcyde. About that time "rave music" was splitting into identifiable sub-genres: Jungle, House and trance. Pharcyde were bigger and housier, so naturally Vortex became trancier.

Vortex is largely run by Grant, Heather and Clyde, though Clyde is mostly the silent partner these days. Grant and Heather have a kid now. It's more like a family business than fun to them.

Pharcyde faded after a few years. I can't really blame them – from being teens doing what they loved for a few hundred friends, they found themselves in their early 20s, raking in big piles of money for entertaining thousands of people. It's hard work, dirty and sleazy, at all hours of the weekend, and I don’t blame them for cashing out.

But before all that happened, another influence came along. The music of goa trance. The Cape Town crowd liked it a lot, or some of them did, and the rest stayed in clubs, dancing to house music. Soon Vortex was the place to get goa vibes. Conscious Dreams, who later mutated into Alien Safari, may have been the first to play goa, but Vortex did it on a larger scale, more often and with more predictable quality

Then came another assimilation: Goa trance was born out of doors, on the beaches and in the forests of Goa. Cape Town in summer is dry and balmy, ideal for this. After the first outdoor experiment, down by Cape Point, there was no turning back. Vortex had left the house.

Goa trance has turned into Psychedelic trance and contues to mutate, a subculture hermetically sealed in its own contiunuum. There are parallels with the deadheads

Vortex now usually throws four parties a year, with their first party in early December, then at New Year, then in late Janaury, and the last one at Easter, covering the summer season.

Vortex's finest moment was almost certainly the Millennium party, which went for four days, featured a host of Trance acts for all over the world, and hosted about 5 thousand people, many of them visitors to the country.

Vortex is actually recognised as a tourist attraction these days, which just shows that this whole underground-mainstream dichotomy thing is not as simple as it appears. Never mind that many of these tourists are long-haired youths lured by cheap African Marijuana, and a trance party without any people using substances is a frankly ludicrous idea.

Vortex continues, and has become a fixture. They don’t own or rule the Cape Town outdoor summer party scene, but they are its backbone. They got there by persistence and consistency. Slowly, the counterculture youth becomes middle-aged mainstream. Red bull and Camel set up shop.

On April 11th, 1987, Paramount's Kings Island (PKI) debuted their roller coaster legend: Vortex. Designed by Arrow as a custom looping steel coaster, PKI paid a smooth four million price tag for this 1,000-ton structure.

PKI closed their prototype suspended coaster Bat and used the same land, station, and some footers, to create Vortex. The old Bat was removed due to numerous problems back in 1983 leaving a massive four year gap between its closing and Vortex's opening. While waiting in line for Vortex one can carefully spot some of Bat's footers. Rumors have circulated that Bat's steel was used to create Vortex but this was denied by numerous employees of PKI, though nothing "official".

Vortex takes guests up a 148-foot lift hill to drop them down 138 feet. With a 55-degree drop, and top speed of 55 mph, riders will be surprised to find many inversions and sometimes mild tunnel vision, or "going gray" as some riders call it. This multielement coaster sends riders through two vertical loops, a double corkscrew, and a batwing for a grand total of six inversions.

My friends really have a love for this coaster. Personally, I enjoy it, especially for the g-forces, but overall it's not a coaster that always stands out in my mind. Obviously, if you go to PKI, you will see it towering in the back and resistance to ride it will be futile. Even walking around you will find yourself quite near the ride as riders dive through the batwing.

Vortex
Opened April 11th, 1987
  • Height: 148'
  • Drop: 138'
  • Max Speed: 55 mph
  • Drop Angle: 55-degrees
  • Inversions: 6
  • Length: 3800'
  • Duration: 2:30
Resources include: roller coaster database, rec.roller-coasters, and many tunnel vision ridden rides on this monster.

Title: Vortex
Developer: Apple Computer, Inc.
Publisher: Apple Computer, Inc.
Year: 2006
Platforms: Fifth generation iPod
Genre: Arcade
Players: One player only

Vortex was one of the nine games first released for the iPod in September 2006. If you've ever played Tempest, then this applies the same "Let's take a good game and wrap it around a tube" idea to Breakout that Tempest applied to Space Invaders. If you haven't played Tempest, picture Breakout being projected onto the inside of a kitchen roll and you're getting close.

As far as Breakout clones go, this one is as good as any other. There are various power-ups to keep the game interesting, and the novelty of the play area being a cylinder shape rather than the usual rectangle provides an interesting twist on the theme. More importantly, the direction of the ball is controlled by hitting it with a certain part of the paddle, so there is an element of skill involved.

As far as iPod games go, Vortex is great. It was clearly designed from the ground up to take advantage of the Click Wheel so that the unusual controller wouldn't be a hindrance so much as a bonus. For the most part, you don't even have to press any buttons - simply sliding your thumb to the place you want the paddle to go is enough to control it.

The graphics and sounds hark back to the early nineties era of games, and although the explosions are arguably over the top for a simple game on a small screen, the pretty scenery certainly helps to immerse you in the game's world, spurring you on with the possibility that maybe the next level will look even more interesting.

If you're looking for a game to provide a quick burst of fun during an otherwise dull journey or lunch break, Vortex amply fulfills this role. It even remembers a paused game while the iPod is turned off, so you can resume it later on. It's perfect for a casual player to pick up and put down whenever it's convenient. Recommended.

Vor"tex (?), n.; pl. E. Vortexes (#), L. Vortices (#). [L. vortex, vertex, -icis, fr. vortere, vertere, to turn. See Vertex.]

1.

A mass of fluid, especially of a liquid, having a whirling or circular motion tending to form a cavity or vacuum in the center of the circle, and to draw in towards the center bodies subject to its action; the form assumed by a fluid in such motion; a whirlpool; an eddy.

2. Cartesian System

A supposed collection of particles of very subtile matter, endowed with a rapid rotary motion around an axis which was also the axis of a sun or a planet. Descartes attempted to account for the formation of the universe, and the movements of the bodies composing it, by a theory of vortices.

3. Zool.

Any one of numerous species of small Turbellaria belonging to Vortex and allied genera. See Illustration in Appendix.

Vortex atom Chem., a hypothetical ring-shaped mass of elementary matter in continuous vortical motion. It is conveniently regarded in certain mathematical speculations as the typical form and structure of the chemical atom. -- Vortex wheel, a kind of turbine.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.