(Also Edjo, Buto, Udjat, Uto, Uadjet, Uatchet)

"The Green One"
"The Fiery Eye"
"Protector of Horus"

Wadjet is an Egyptian goddess of protection, serving to protect the lands of her worshippers, the pharaoh and the royal family. She is depicted in this role as a cobra, a cobra with the head of a woman or a woman with the head of a cobra. Her image, mounted on headdresses as a uraeus, was said to spit fire at the enemies of her charges. She is also the divine representation of one half of the lands of Kemet, in conjunction with Nekhbet.

In her role as the “Eye of Ra” or “Eye of Divine Vengeance”, she is depicted as a lioness, or with the head of a lioness. In this form she represents justice and truth. Her function as an eyepiece is also evident in another myth where she was created by Atum, the first god of the universe, to find his lost sons. Wadjet found his children, and he was so overjoyed that he cried. His tears became the first humans, and as a reward to her, he placed Wadjet on his head in the form of a cobra, the first uraeus.

This goddess also is associated with childbirth, children, fertility and growth. She is one of the mythical mothers of the king, often shown breastfeeding him in the form of a cobra with a woman’s head. In some texts, papyrus is said to have sprang from Wadjet.

The time associated with Wadjet was the fifth hour of the fifth day of the month, or lunar cycle. Her fest day was April twenty-first.

Sources:
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/wadjet.htm
http://www.angelfire.com/realm/shades/egypt/wadjet.html
http://www3.sympatico.ca/untangle/egyptian.html

Wadget

An Archaeological Adventure Game

Published by Timbuk II, Inc.

From the back of the box:

The year is 1923. You are one of four world famous rival archaeologists who have come to Cairo, Egypt, to begin a race against time, nature, and each other, in a search for the stolen treasures of the pharaoh.

Enter the Valley of the Kings, a world of burning desert heat and blinding sandstorms. Danger lies in your every step as you dig youir way through the dark, damp corridors of the ancient tombs, but beware.... The cobra goddess, WADJET™, has guarded the pharaohs' tombs for over 3000 years.... She awaits your intrusion...!!!

You will be faced with danger, intrigue, and possible financial ruin. You must use your wits, knowledge, money and memory to outsmart your rivals and WADJET™.... Search for the royal tombs of the pharaohs.... Learn their secrets.... but don't let anyone learn yours!!!

Wadget is a board game. Think of it as a cross between Parcheesi and Clue. The story is that twenty-five artifacts from a newly discovered tomb have been stolen. You play the part of a famous archaeologist tasked with recovering the pieces.

Each of the four players knows about six of the artifacts. The twenty-fifth artifact must be deduced (Clue-like) by circling the board (Parcheesi-like), recovering, swapping, and snatching artifacts from each others' stashes. Each artifact has a monetary value and you can't make your guess at the last artifact until you control artifacts worth a certain value. There are, of course, other complications that leave openings for strategy and tactics.

It is an expensive game but the box, board, and pieces are very attractive and well-made. If you like logic games you will enjoy Wadjet.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.