This is a manner of standing found in several martial arts, including Tae Kwon Do. The walking stance is rarely found in actual combat, but does feature heavily in forms.

The martial artist starts by standing in the center of a cardinal cross, facing North. She moves her left foot Northwest and keeps her right foot planted. Her feet should be about shoulder breadth apart. The back leg should be straight at the knee (but not locked), and the front leg bent as far as it is comfortable. The martial artist should feel her left hamstring and right quadrecep stretching. Both feet should be parallel and pointing to the North.

Her torso should stay full-facing to the North, with her shoulders squared to the direction she's facing regardless of the technique performed in this stance. She plants both fists, palms up, into her flanks, with both elbows pointed directly behind her to the South.

From this stance, the martial artist has access to most of her repertoire of hand and foot techniques. While perhaps not as useful as the L-Stance when in a combat situation, the walking stance can be used in a transition movement while approaching or moving around an opponent. This stance is most often seen in forms such as Chon-Ji or Do-San or in self-defense/step-defense training.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.