A hairstyle.

The hair is cut to be shorter in the back, and longer around the face. This angled cut accentuates a swanlike neck.
In the game of Go (Wei Qi/Badouk) a "wedge" is a play between two formations of the opponent's, usually in the middle of an open side of the goban (board) when the opponent controls both adjoining corners. It is usually played on the third line in the middle of an open area at least 9 rows (or columns) long, allowing a niken tobi (two-space jump) move into open space on either side to build a base. The purpose of this move essentially to prevent the opponent from playing at that point himself, thereby laying a fairly strong claim to that entire side of the goban.

A typical example of a wedge is shown here (whole bottom side of the goban shown, edge marked with ###:

#...o...........x...#
#.oox.....,.....,...#
#ooxx....b..o..a.x..#
#xx.................#
#...................#
#####################

("," are hoshi (star points) and can be ignored if you don't know what they are, since they are for reference only and have no game effect)

White is "o", Black is "x." White has just played the wedge stone (the o in the middle) between Black's strong corners, in order to prevent Black from dominating that entire side. If Black now approaches at or around the point marked "a," White will usually respond at "b," to build a base. Conversely, if Black approaches at or around "b," White will play at "a," for the same reason. Note that this means that "a" and "b" are miai (equivalent points). This is the main idea of a typical wedge; to play in the middle of two formations of the opponent's stones, such that it is possible to build a base, regardless of the direction the attack comes from. Once a group has a base on the third line, it is usually safe to assume that it can live, assuming there is at least a little bit of empty space around it to make eyes, and assuming the player takes appropriate measures in face of a continued attack.

WEDGE
Silver plate, because melted by the receivers of stolen goods into wedges. CANT.

The 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue.

Wedge (?), n. [OE. wegge, AS. wecg; akin to D. wig, wigge, OHG. wecki, G. weck a (wedge-shaped) loaf, Icel. veggr, Dan. vaegge, Sw. vigg, and probably to Lith. vagis a peg. Cf. Wigg.]

1.

A piece of metal, or other hard material, thick at one end, and tapering to a thin edge at the other, used in splitting wood, rocks, etc., in raising heavy bodies, and the like. It is one of the six elementary machines called the mechanical powers. See Illust. of Mechanical powers, under Mechanical.

2. Geom.

A solid of five sides, having a rectangular base, two rectangular or trapezoidal sides meeting in an edge, and two triangular ends.

3.

A mass of metal, especially when of a wedgelike form.

"Wedges of gold."

Shak.

4.

Anything in the form of a wedge, as a body of troops drawn up in such a form.

In warlike muster they appear, In rhombs, and wedges, and half-moons, and wings. Milton.

5.

The person whose name stands lowest on the list of the classical tripos; -- so called after a person (Wedgewood) who occupied this position on the first list of 1828.

[Cant, Cambridge Univ., Eng.]

C. A. Bristed.

Fox wedge. Mach. & Carpentry See under Fox. -- Spherical wedge Geom., the portion of a sphere included between two planes which intersect in a diameter.

 

© Webster 1913.


Wedge, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Wedged (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Wedging.]

1.

To cleave or separate with a wedge or wedges, or as with a wedge; to rive.

"My heart, as wedged with a sigh, would rive in twain."

Shak.

2.

To force or drive as a wedge is driven.

Among the crowd in the abbey where a finger Could not be wedged in more. Shak.

He 's just the sort of man to wedge himself into a snug berth. Mrs. J. H. Ewing.

3.

To force by crowding and pushing as a wedge does; as, to wedge one's way.

Milton.

4.

To press closely; to fix, or make fast, in the manner of a wedge that is driven into something.

Wedged in the rocky shoals, and sticking fast. Dryden.

5.

To fasten with a wedge, or with wedges; as, to wedge a scythe on the snath; to wedge a rail or a piece of timber in its place.

6. Pottery

To cut, as clay, into wedgelike masses, and work by dashing together, in order to expel air bubbles, etc.

Tomlinson.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.