(Also Upuaut, Greek Ophois )

Titled 'Lord of the sacred land', sacred land referring to cemeteries.

Wepwawet was the deity of Asyut (Lycopolis) and was depicted as a wolf, jackal, or a man with the head of a jackal often dressed as a soldier. He was a god of war and of the funeral cult, and his attributes were the mace and the bow. The name Wepwawet means "Opener of the Ways", and this god was important in both battle and death. In depictions, he is often seen holding the 'shedshed', the standard leading the pharaoh to victory in war.

Wepwawet also acted as a funeral deity, using an adze to pry open the mouth of the dead in the "opening of the mouth" ceremony. This ensured that the deceased would possess all the faculties from mortal life in the afterlife. He also lead the dead through the underworld and kept watch by the tomb. At Abydos, a procession featuring Wepwawet would come before various ceremonies of Osiris.

Though Wepwawet was an upper Egyptian god, inscriptions say he was born in the sanctuary of the goddess Wadjet at Buto in the Nile delta. He was sometimes identified with Horus (and thus also the pharaoh) and he guarded the sun-boat on its journey through the Underworld. At Abydos his cult was celebrated in connection with that of Wesir (Osiris).

Sources:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/untangle/egyptian.html
http://aker.virtualave.net/NetjeruW.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.