Name by which the wheat kernel (sans inedible outer hull) is sold as a whole grain for cooking (although it's also sold as "hard wheat"). Nutty and nutrititious (the bran and the germ are included in the berry), you can cook the wheat berries like any other grain, but as the berries are pretty tough, it's recommended that you soak the wheat berries overnight before cooking.

Use 3.5 cups of water for every cup of kernels. Cover and simmer like any other grain, and in 45 minutes to an hour (or closer to 2-3 hours if you didn't soak them overnight), you'll have about 2.5 cups cooked wheat berries, suitable for use as a side dish, or in a salad or pilaf. If you want to throw uncooked wheat berries into a stew or soup as you would barley, add extra water or broth and allow them to cook for a while before you add your other ingredients.

Sources:
Alden, Lori. "Wheat." The Cook's Thesaurus. <http://www.foodsubs.com/GrainWheat.html> (5 December 2001)
"Wheat Kernels (Berries)." Purity Foods. <http://www.purityfoods.com/nutrition/wheatkernels.html> (5 December 2001)

For a quick, cheap, and nutritious breakfast, take 2 tablespoons of wheat berries, place in a thermos with a pinch of salt and ¾ cup of boiling water. Let sit overnight. In the morning pour the contents of the thermos into a bowl, and add honey, molasses, or cream to taste. Don't expect to eat it quickly, it requires a lot of chewing. You should be able to read most of the New York Times even if you're trying to shovel it down. If you like oatmeal or porridge, you might want to give this a try, it tastes great and makes you poop good too!

iamkaym tells me that this is sometimes known as "German wheat".

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.