Wheat kernels from which the bran and the germ has been removed. Had the bran not been removed, you would have whole wheat flour (whole wheat flour doen't include the wheat germ).

The bran contains fiber and some useful vitamins and minerals. The US Enrichment Act of 1942 required the vitamins and minerals lost in the milling of white flour, such as iron, thiamin, niacin, and folic acid, be atificially added. Today white bread has more of these vitamins and minerals than whole wheat bread, although it is still lacking the fiber and some of the trace minerals of whole wheat flour.

Because of the lack of fiber to slow down the asorption of sugars, white flour can be dangerous to diabetics.

Pillsbury Unbleached All Purpose Flour (enriched)
Nutrition facts
Serving size 1/4 cup (29g)
Amount per serving
Calories - 100 (calories from fat - 0)

% daily value*
Total fat - 0g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium 0mg
Total Carbohydrate - 21g -- 7%
Dietary Fiber less than one gram -- 3%
Sugars - 0g
Protein- 3g

Vitamin A -- 0%
Vitamin C -- 0%
Calcium -- 0%
Iron -- 8%
Thiamin -- 10%
Riboflavin -- 6%
Niacin 8%
Folic Acid -- 10%

* Percent daily values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Contains: Unbleached wheat flour, malted barley flour (imporves yeast baking), Niacin, Iron, Thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.