A song written by Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane, a psychedelic band from the late 60's and early 70's. They performed at Woodstock. The song was once banned from the radio because of its many references to drug use, such as eating mushrooms and the hookah smoking caterpillar. The phrase "feed your head" is repeated at the end of the song. The phrase obviously means "take more drugs."

The White Rabbit is the first strange character Alice meets in Alice in Wonderland. He reappears at the Queen's croquet match, and serves as herald in the Knave of Hearts's trial at the end.

Alice's adventures begin when she is sitting sleepily on a bank, and she sees a white rabbit with pink eyes dart past her. When it says to itself, 'Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be too late!', she starts to think something a little odd is happening, but when it takes a watch out of its waistcoat pocket, she decides to follow it, and drops down the rabbit hole after it. She loses sight of him as soon as she lands at the bottom.

In Chapter 2 he reappears splendidly dressed, with a pair of white kid gloves in one hand and a large fan in the other, still muttering to himself about how savage the Duchess will be if he is late. Alice timidly attempts to address him, but he is startled, drops the fan and gloves, and skurries away. She fans herself until she is startled to discover she is small enough to fall into the pool of tears she had cried.

He returns at the beginning of Chapter 4 looking anxiously around for his things, muttering 'The Duchess! The Duchess! Oh my dear paws! Oh my fur and whiskers! She'll get me executed, as sure as ferrets are ferrets! Where can I have dropped them, I wonder?'. He then spots Alice and mistakes her for his housemaid Mary Ann, angrily ordering her to go home and get replacements. This she does, without arguing, but wondering at how queer it is to be running messages for a rabbit.

He lived in a neat little house, on the door of which was a bright brass plate with the name 'W. RABBIT'. Inevitably she finds something to swallow, and this has the effect of making her too large for the house, so that she's wedged uncomfortably in it with one arm out the window and one foot up the chimney. The White Rabbit calls out angrily for his gloves and tries to get in. A snap of her hand has him fall into what sounds like a cucumber frame in his garden. His gardeners Pat and Bill then try to get to her. Pebbles he orders fired at her turn into cakes, which make her shrink, so she escapes.

He is quite rude and tyrannical to his servants in these early chapters; he becomes nicer later on. In Chapter 8 he shows up at the croquet game and timorously remarks to Alice that it's a fine day, then passes on the news that the feared Duchess is now under sentence of execution for having boxed the Queen's ears, which Alice finds tremendously funny.

Chapter 11 is the trial for stealing the tarts, and for this the White Rabbit is arrayed as the herald, or more commonly the clerk of court, in a tabard, with a trumpet in one hand and a scroll in the other. He calls for silence in court, reads the accusation, calls the witnesses, and advises the King on court procedure: such as hearing the evidence before passing sentence.

His voice, formerly timid or angry, is now described as shrill when he calls out Alice's name to be witness, leading into the final chapter. He speaks very respectfully to the King, whose 'important' he corrects to 'unimportant', but frowns and makes faces at him.

Finally he produces a startling piece of new evidence, a letter alleged to have been written by the prisoner, the Knave of Hearts. For this he puts on his spectacles.

This seems to be the complete sum of information about the White Rabbit in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

Saying “white rabbit” at the beginning of each month is a superstition which supposedly makes you have good luck for the rest of the month to come. Another belief with this superstition is that if it isn’t the first thing you say the first morning of said month, that you will in fact have bad luck. What happens if you forget to say white rabbit you may ask? I've fallen into a lake on my bike, lost numerous objects, numerous injuries, almost choked to death in a sleeping bag, you name it, it could easily happen. Now think of the thing that you love most of all, something or someone you don't think you could ever live without. Now watch it disappear one morning, seemingly the first day of the month. Even more torturesome however would be each day of the month to continually put down more and more. I've been fortunate enough not to have this happen.

On a side note, I have always said white rabbit at the beginning of each month before saying anything else that day. Of course this month, I didn’t realize that it was the first of the month and went about my day as usual. As I was riding my bike downhill towards a lake, a family of bunnies started hopping across the road, forcing me to swerve over to the side. "Lucky" me, I missed a large tree by inches, however went plummeting into the lake from about 10 feet up. From the water, I looked up atop the cliff and of course the rabbits were hopping around merrily... One would think I could then swim over to the shore and pull my bike out. I however was forced to swim across the lake to the beach on the other side. The only good that came out of it was I got to go for a nice long run afterward. Most fortunate of all, it just happened to still be very cold outside. It's a wonder I didn't die of pneumonia.

I can personally account for white rabbit and other superstitions as being Swedish, however such superstitions were first printed in the early 1900's across Europe. The origin of the superstition is therefore unknown. However, it is known that for some, the superstition is a fear of black magic in that if you don't say White Rabbit at the beginning of the each month (and in some cases Black Rabbit the night before), you will be cursed for the remainder of the month. Others believe that it is just a good luck charm to do so at the beginning of each month. Another popular form of this superstition is instead of saying white rabbit, to say rabbit, rabbit or even rabbit, rabbit, rabbit.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.