Wind chimes are, simply put, chimes activated by the wind. They have been present in many cultures since prehistoric times. However, south Asia is the principal region where they have been most prolific and popular. Thus, these cultures elaborated their craftmanship, decorating and improving these singular objects with sometimes complex decorations, carved designs and casts. Throughout these ages, wind chimes often beared religious and sacred meanings.

Technically, they can be made of different materials (for different sounds or "voices") like steels, aluminium, brass, bamboo, hardwood, clay or porcelain. They generally consist of six or eight (it is not a rule) tubes/rods/pipes of different lengths attached to a common support/disk which is in turn suspended anywhere where there's wind (or not as it can be used as an indoor decoration). Also attached to the support, in the center of the pipe set, is a cord having, somewhere in its middle, a disk and, at its loose end, a wind catcher so that when the wind agitates the wind catcher, the central disk hits the surrounding pipes. Other designs exist and imagination is the only norm. You can, for example, remove the cord/wind cather, bring each pipe closer in a linear rather than a circular way so that the wind will make them hit their neighbors.

Having a specific length, each pipe generate a different frequency/tone. Knowing the precise length in function of the material's natural resonance frequency is necessary to generate precise notes. These notes are often chosen to create major, minor, pentatonic, etc. chords/scales. Arrangments are chosen to bring to the listener a soothing, relaxing, haunting and/or joyful sound atmosphere.

Wind chimes can easily be found and ordered everywhere on the WWW with an odd but not unappreciated habit from selling companies, considering the general high price range for high quality wind chimes, to offer free shipping.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.