The phrase 'a wolf in sheep's clothing' is an allusion to a Biblical passage in the Gospel of Matthew.

"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."
-- Matthew 7:15

This has been reused and modified many times throughout the centuries. It appeared in Rome as a common proverb, Pelle sub agnina latitat mens saepe lupina (Under a sheep's skin often hides a wolf's mind), and appeared as a cautionary tale that became so common that it was often believed to be one of Aesop's fables; while there is no evidence that Aesop ever wrote a fable in this vein, The Wolf in Sheep's Clothing is still listed as number 451 in the Perry Index of Aesop's works.

The phrase has been elaborated into a number of stories, perhaps first by the Greek writer Nikephoros Basilakis in his collection Progymnasmata. In this story, a wolf put on a sheepskin so that he could sneak into the shepherd's flock, and sure enough, when night came the shepherd locked the wolf in the paddock with the sheep -- but the disguise worked too well, and when the shepherd came to kill a sheep for his dinner, he killed the wolf by accident.

A later story by the 15th century writer Laurentius Abstemius may be more familiar to modern readers. In his Hecatomythium a wolf dressed in a sheep's skin entered into a flock of sheep and killed one sheep each day. Eventually the shepherd noticed what was happening, and hanged the wolf in a tree. when the other shepherds asked him why he had hanged a sheep, the shepherd answered: "The skin is that of a sheep, but the activities were those of a wolf." This story mirrors the message of the Biblical passage, that people should be judged not by their appearance but by their actions.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.