Slogan: "Feel the sting of extreme energy!"

Yellowjackets are dietary supplements in the form of yellow and black striped capsules. They are advertised as energy boosters and metabolic enhancers for weight loss.

According to the package, each capsule contains 661 mg of a "Proprietary Blend." Recommended dosage is one capsule after a meal, and no more than three capsules a day.

Active Ingredients: Ephedra Extract, Sida Cordifolia, Citrus Aurantium (standardized to 4% Synephrine), Kola Nut Extract (contains caffeine), Ginseng, Ginger Root, and Capsicum.

Other Ingredients: Stearic Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Gelatin, Activated Carbon, Black Iron Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, D&C Yellow #10, FD&C Yellow #6.

Cautions and Drug Interactions: Yellowjackets should not be used by anyone who is taking an MAO Inhibitor (monoamine oxidase inhibitor), is allergic or hypersensitive to caffeine or ephedrine, or who has heart disease, high blood pressure, thyroid disease, diabetes, or enlargement of the prostate gland.

Possible Side Effects: Nervousness, tremor, sleeplessness, nausea, or loss of appetite.

Yellowjackets are manufactured by NVE Pharmaceuticals, Newton, Jew Jersey, NVE also manufactures a number of energy supplements, "fat burners", aphrodisiacs, and "super supplements", most of which include the same compounds in different combinations and with different packaging.

 

Editor's note: These are no longer made due to the federal banning of ephedra in early 2004.

Yellowjackets (Vespula, Dolichovespula, Vespa) are a species of vespid wasps. They are generally viewed as aggressive, though truthfully if they do not feel threatened they probably will not sting you.

Yellowjackets are scavengers, and will eat anything from fruit, to meat, garbage, even you. Their bite is quite painful. Yellowjackets can of course also sting. They will sting repeatedly, until they lose their stinger.

The name Yellowjacket refers to the yellow and black stripes that run up their abdomen. Despite the name, not all Yellowjackets are yellow and black. Several species are black and white, but are still referred to as Yellowjackets, which are also known as Eastern Yellowjackets, Common Yellowjackets, or German Yellowjackets.

Like other wasps, the Yellowjacket is a social insect. They build enclosed paper nests underground, in trees, or in other structures above ground.

Each spring, a typical Yellowjacket nest will start with a new queen. The new queen is the only Yellowjacket to survive a cold winter by hibernating. Once the queen wakes from hibernation she will lay 45 to 70 eggs which hatch and become the first generation of workers.

These workers are not naturally sterile like bees, but instead are chemically inhibited from having any offspring by pheromones produced by the queen. If the queen is lost, the workers will produce male offspring. The workers perform all tasks for the hive, including expanding the nest, foraging for food, and protecting it. During the late summer, the colony can grow to the size of 5000 or more individual yellowjackets. During this time of overpopulation, many yellowjackets become aggressive and stinging incidents rise. They must fly further to find enough food for the nest and will often fight workers from other nests, and other animals it views as threats to it's food source.

As autumn approaches males mate with the new queen and leave the nest to die. The remaining workers and the old queen die as the weather gets colder.

The easiest ways to control the yellowjacket population is to not leave food exposed, and tightly cover your garbage. Because yellowjackets are scavengers the presence of both will attract them. Yellowjackets will defend their nest aggressively if attacked, and will often do in swarms, so if you have found a nest it is better to let the exterminator handle it, or if you're feeling adventurous, at night when they sleep.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.