For the commoners of the isolated, early 17th century Japan, Kabuki theatre offered an outlet of escapism. Merchants were the most frequent patrons of this art. The government prohibited merchants from wearing lavish clothing or changing jobs. These rigid rules forced on their lifestyle starved them for excitement. Some looked to kabuki productions as a substitute for the lack of the bright and bizarre in their own lives. The costumes in kabuki were colorful and extravagant. Scenes that presented clever commoners outwitting their social superiors in love or physical feuds were also a welcomed detachment from reality. Sukeroku, from the production Sukeroku is a young commoner and an otokodate. An otokodate is a man ready to defend the middle class against warrior bullies. Sukeroku battles with a mean Samurai for the attention of a beautiful consort. Sukeroku wins the consort’s love.

    The consort, in any production of Sukeroku after 1629, had to be played by a man. In 1629, when the government found out that many actresses had been prostituting themselves off-stage and noted that their dances were very suggestive, the authorities banned women from the stage. The government worried that these performances would cause a decline in public morals. Men who act and dress the part play women’s roles.

    Kabuki plays are extremely stylized, traditional and well choreographed. When the minor characters are not involved in a scene, they group in a strategic area so the audience focuses on the major characters in the particular scene. Fighting scenes are very dance-like. Every motion is precise and in slow motion. Sometimes the action freezes when the actors are in dramatic poses. Frozen action is designed to draw attention to a significant turn of events. Even simple props can be symbolic. The fan, a frequently used stage prop, can be used to express many emotions or stand for objects like a sword, chopsticks, fluttering leaves, wind or waves.

    Unlike Western productions, in Kabuki the audience chats with each other. They do not just come to watch the show, they also come to eat and socialize. Most of the plots are well known, so the audience can miss details. Plus, the plots are not the main appeal of kabuki. The allure of kabuki is the actors’ skill of obtaining mie. Mie is a beautiful and forceful pose. Great poses are applauded with shouts of approval.