Here's a breif description of Ralph Nader in the 60's

When Ralph Nader accused carmakers of sacrificing safety for profits in his 1965 book Unsafe at Any Speed, he incurred the hostility of America's largest company, General Motors. But instead of begin intimidated, he considered it a sign of success. In the years to come he would have many such successes in his role as a David battling corporate Goliaths. Born in Connecticut in 1934, Nader attended Harvard Law School, where he became interested in the causes of suto injuries and deaths. After briefly practicing law, he worked as a government consultant investigating car accidents. This research led to his indictment of the auto industry, a hot seller that Nader publicized on the occasion by getting vehind the wheel of a bumper car. General Motors, whose Chevrolet Corvair Nader had screwered, hired detectives to investigate his personal life-which, to their dismay, was simple to the point of asceticism. Their efforts backfired; Nader sued, and GM was forced to publicly apologize and pay him a settlement of $425,000.

Nader soon shifted into high gear as a consumer-product bloodhound, gathering a small army of students and volunteers-"Nader's Raider's"-to pursue his campaigns. His idealism, incorruptibilty, and leagla acumen produced important legislative reforms. he met defeats, too, but his reformist zeal never waned. As he put it, "The essence of the citizens' movement is persistence."

1960's Project