I am getting so sick of this. I now currently receive more idiotic "chain-type" emails from my friends, than Unsolicited Commercial Email. These people apparently have absolutely no common sense.

One WARNING READ IMMEDIATELY AND PASS ON message that I received today claims that, Someone is sending out a very cute screensaver of the Budweiser frogs. If you download it, you will lose everything! Your hard drive will crash and someone from the Internet will get your screen name and password!...This information was announced yesterday morning from Microsoft. Please share it with everyone that might access the Internet.... AOL has said that this is a very dangerous virus and that there is NO remedy for it at this time. I am trying to think of some witty comments to make here, but I think that would be overkill; this is so obviously fake, and a poorly written fake at that. I am also extremely annoyed and yet somewhat amused by the "warning" messages about how I had better watch out because my kidney could be stolen at any moment, I am going to be stuck with HIV infected needles at the gas station and/or movie theater, and the government is going to start charging people to send emails. The best part of these types of messages is that they are always "written" by Dr. Somebody, P.H.D. at Some University, Some Where. I had no idea P.H.D.s were so easily obtained by people who are unable to formulate complete and correct sentences, or spell commonly used words, and seem to have no understanding of their own supposed field of expertise.

Another message, entitled "Do this, its hilarious..." also wants me to forward it to everyone in my address book. It claims If you forward to 11 people a video comes on your screen. This works. I don't know how...but it works, you have to send this email to no less than 11 people. Somehow, from the return path generated, you'll receive...something, and it is funny!!!! This is the coolest thing I've ever gotten! All you have to do is send it to 11 people and this little video comes up on your screen and shows the funniest clip. I can't tell you what it is but I was laughing so hard! So spend a few seconds to send this and you'll be glad you did! Makes no sense whatsoever and yet this is not the first time I have received this one...sigh. I want to know how this really cool thing remotely keeps track of how many people the message has been sent to and then automatically uploads this video clip to your computer (gee I hope its not the one with the frogs..) Wow, it seems like they really want me to send this all my friends - so why can they absolutely not tell me what it is? This is similar to the messages that tell me Bill Gates/Disneyworld/The Gap are going to give me money/give me a free trip/send me other free shit - all just for sending the email to everyone in my address book. It does not amaze me that people write these things, they are clearly script kiddie wannabes and AOL users who have nothing better to do with their time and lack the "skills" needed to go around owning boxes and causing mayhem in IRC. However, it does amaze me to no end that my friends (almost all college students) continue sending out this crap every time they find it in their inboxes. Some of them have sent out the exact same messages numerous times over long periods of time ... and never received 10,000 dollars from Microsoft (they're "testing a new email tracking program"), a trip to Disney World (just for forwarding to all your friends), or a bunch of free crappy and regularly overpriced clothing from any store. BUT THEY KEEP SENDING THEM and I am getting pissed off. It would be very interesting for someone to do a study and see just how much network congestion is caused by this stupidity. Then I could write an email about it and send it to all my friends: "FORWARD THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW AND EVEN PEOPLE YOU DONT"


ack maybe this shouldnt upset me so much. at the risk of sounding cliche, i think i am pissed off at the world today.