There's also the supergroovy Base6 two-line abacus method!

Begin with both hands closed.
For the value 1 (one) raise a single finger on the right hand. (It could be the left if you really wanted, just try to be consistent about it, okay? okay.)
For the value of 2 (two) raise another finger on the right hand to accompany the first.
Three fingers for the number 3, 4 fingers for the number 4, and I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to hypothesize how many fingers should be extended to represent the number 5.
Ah, but then it gets tricky! You see, to represent 6 you might think you pop up a finger on the left hand (or the right hand, if you decided you had to be different back there at the beginning) and you'd be right. What's different about it is that you close the fingers on the right hand. I.E. one finger up on the left (or right) and no fingers up on the right (or left) hand represents the number 6.
I'magine there are a few folks out there scratching their heads wondering how to go about getting the number 7 to appear. Well, wonder no longer for I shall enlighten you: Pop up a finger on your right hand. For 8 through 11 just keep adding fingers to your right hand 'til you run out of fingers to add. At 12 you raise another finger on your left hand and close the right. Lather, rinse, repeat.
With a little quick and easy math you'll notice you can count to 35 with this nifty method, assuming you have the full suggested compliment of the required parts.