Warning to retailers which appears on multipack packets of goods, such as crisps, chocolate bars, etc. Indicates that the company in question does not want the retailer to 'cheat' them by emptying the individual items out of their multipack and selling them separately.

A typical example might be where a packet of crisps costs 20p separately, but 10 packets in a multipack cost 99p. To prevent selling of each packet individually, the manufacturer will print "Part of a multipack - not to be sold separately" or similar words, on each individual packet. If the consumer reads this, he or she will presumably notify the appropriate authorities.

Unknown if this statement can be legally binding(?); however it frequently evokes confused feelings on the part of the consumer, and for some people can be a trigger, causing them to fall deep into thought about the structure of the corporate world. How dare the company cheat us by selling individual packs more expensively, and having the nerve to warn us that we can only eat packets separately if they're given to us separately? But on the other hand, what other way is there for the company to avoid getting ripped off, if they should want to promote their multipacks in this way?

The feelings typically last a few minutes before you purchase the multipack anyway, open each individual packet of crisps, pour them all into the large pack (filling it about 1/4 full), and proceed to pig out.