"Shame" is the title of the most recent violent drink-driving commercial shown in Ireland in Summer 2001. These ads are constantly shown in Ireland, especially around the holidays, and have become increasingly violent in recent years, as advertisers try shock tactics to get the Government's message across. There are almost always several deaths a week on this small island due to drink-driving.

The £200,000 film, written by Julie Annie Bailie (creative director with the McCann Erickson ad agency) has already won many international awards, including that of best public service ad in the world at the Hollywood Radio and Television Awards.

It begins by showing a boy playing football with his father in the garden, and moves to a young man having a few drinks with his mates. They then have a quick game of football, echoing the happiness of the little boy, and afterwards the man drives home. It's made obvious to the viewer that he's only had one or two drinks.

The car suddenly clips the kerb, and the scene switches back to the boy, standing triumphantly on his football, before the car does a somersault, crashing through the wooden fence. The scene cuts to the father looking out the window just before the bottom of the car hits the boy. The father rushes over and, seeing that his son is dead, begins crying. The man gets out of the car and we see the distraught look of 'Shame' on his face.

This ad does appear to have been effective, with a survey taken some months afterwards showing that 61% (up from 13%) of Irish adults now believe that drinking any alcohol at all will affect your driving.

Adapated from the Irish Independent, 24 July 2001, p11.