A subject of ancient and modern folklore. The demon exists as a universal icon of evil throughout human history.

  • Español: demonio
  • Français: démon
  • Deutsch: Dämon

    Demons are the supposed minions of satan(beelzebub, lucifer, devil, hades)

    Louisiana:

    "I was on a camping trip with some people. And we went to the edge of the clearing we were in to the tree line. I looked through and saw a fire with people dancing and shit. Then I saw them murder a goat on a post near the fire. Later: at a stage play.I was standing on the stage, like, to the side. My part wasn't even a big one. I just stood there on the side and watch the two main actors. I look over to the other side of the stage, and I saw this guy kinda standing there looking at me. He looked evil, you know. And he walked all the way across the stage, right up to me, and looked me in the eye, real close, and said, "He's gonna fuck you up someday, you know?"... Then he walked off. But I knew what I meant, I just knew. They are always there, you know. Just off to the side, telling you things. I wanted to kill myself one day, and my mother prayed for me. And I immediately felt stupid for even thinking it. My mother says god can protect us."

    They are the hair that stands on the back of your neck. The lump in your throat, and the pressure on your back when you know someone is there...


    Apis (Egypt): The sacred bull of the ancient Egyptians. It was known to them as Hapi and was regarded as the incarnation of Osiris or of Ptah. It was believed that when Apis died, a new Apis appeared and had to be searched out; he would be recognizable by certain sacred marks upon his body, such as his color (mainly black) and a knot under his tongue. Apis is sometimes represented as a man with the head of a bull.

    Banshee (Gaelic): Literally means a fairy woman, but is usually used to mean the spirit of a dead ancestress. In the Highlands she was known as the Glaistig Uaine (Green Lady). A female spirit whose wailing warns a family that one of them will soon die.

    Barghest (England): In northern England this monstrous dog with huge teeth and claws appeared only at night. It was believed that anyone who saw such a dog clearly would die soon after. In Wales, the dog was the red-eyed Gwyllgi, the Dog of Darkness. On the Isle of Man it was called Mauthe Doog.

    Centaur (Greek): A creature half-man, half-horse, descended from Ixion, and living mostly in ancient Thessaly. These centaurs were invited to a marriage feast, where one of them tried to abduct the bride which resulted in a war that drove them out of Thessaly. Most were savage followers of Dionysus, but some, like Chiron, taught humans.

    Grendel (Anglo-Saxon): A water monster invulnerable to weapons. He was killed by Beowulf. The monster's mother, another water monster, was later killed by Beowulf when she tried to avenge Grendel's death.

    Incubus (Medieval): A male demon that sought sexual intercourse with sleeping women. Supposedly a fallen angel.

    Kouei (China): A class of demons. They were repulsive creatures with black or green faces covered with long hair, and with long, sharp teeth.

    Lamastu (Babylonian): A demon that attacked babies at their mother's breast.

    Nidhogg (Norse): The evil serpent that eternally attacks Yggdrasil, the world tree.

    Peri (Persia): A supernatural being descended from fallen angels.

    Raksava (India): Demons representing all hostile forces. Their leader was Ravana, the enemy of Rama.

    Succubus (Medieval): A female demon, also a fallen angel, who sought intercourse with sleeping men.

    Tengu (Japan): A class of demons; they had magic powers, could become invisible, and kidnapped children. They were usually depicted as birds with powerful claws.

    Vlkodlak (Slavic): A wolf-man in Slavic folklore. The wolf was the most feared creature in northern and eastern Europe and Vlkodlak was the personification of the wolf.