DHTML can do some pretty neat stuff. There's more to it than flash-style effects and the ugly square spotlight.

The first problem is that NS and IE comply to the dHTML standard in two completely different ways. In many cases, it's necessary to write 2 .htmls per page. Netscape has chosen to use the <layer> tag, while Micros~1's Internet Explorer treats DHTML more like an extension of JavaScript.

The second problem is that Netscape's implementation may provide better document control, but it relies far too heavily on a coordinate style of authoring. This would be fine if the backbone for web design weren't something as loose as HTML..... It's a good idea, but I don't know if the framework is well-suited enough yet.

Although with more substance than the 80s Cola War, this Browser War is just getting tiresome, and is just as much in the interest of the consumer. It's sad when the only way Netscape can keep their product alive is to make it 100% incompatible with their competitor. This divergence can only progess until they are two utterly unalike systems, with a full set of code required for each. Bleh.

...they've also prevented dhtml from gaining any popularity with this stupid squabble.