So much has been said, so much has been written...I didn't want to trivialize the event by jumping on the bandwagon but I can't hold it in any longer. Yes, the attacks on the World Trade Center. It's been close to two weeks since it happened and I suppose I should feel better by now. I don't...I cry at least two or three times a day. I live in the U.S. and have a very patriotic family. All of the men in my family have been in some branch of the armed forces...I was even in the air force for a short period of time. I feel so lucky to live here...my heart used to swell with pride when I would hear patriotic songs like 'America, the Beautiful' or 'God Bless America.' I've heard these songs more times than I can count on every radio station several times a day since the attacks...and everytime I hear one I cry...and I'm still not sure why. I didn't know anyone in who was killed or affected...I'm not scared that I will be next. I've never cried so hard or so often for so many people who I don't know. I don't know if it's really registered in my brain yet that what I witnessed live on television WAS ACTUALLY LIVE....it wasn't a movie. People were jumping from the buildings...people in wheelchairs who couldn't use the stairs where trapped inside...hundreds of firemen and police officers who were there to help were crushed as the buildings fell. Thousands dead....thousands injured....all of us affected. Children will grow up without mothers and fathers. Men and women will grow old without their soulmates. Mothers and fathers have outlived their children.
My heart hurts....my soul cries out.