(posted to fill holes in history and the nodegel on behalf of the author, who reserves copyright)

 

LOVE IN THREE ACTS AND FOUR PARTS

By Simulacron3

(SCENE)

LOVER 1 and LOVER 2 stand center stage facing each other. LOVER 3 stands on one side, slightly away from the couple, facing down and away. LOVER 4 stands on the side opposite LOVER 3 and somewhat away from the couple, facing down and away.

 

LOVER 1 takes LOVER 2 by the hand.

LOVER 1 (dreamily and adoringly)

 I love you. You make my world complete.

LOVER 2 takes LOVER 1 by the other hand.

LOVER 2 (factually, with an academic air)

You are necessary and sufficient.

They draw very close to each other and look downstage, cheek to cheek.

LOVER 3 turns to look toward LOVER 1.

LOVER 1 looks at LOVER 3, smiles, lifts hand towards LOVER 3, but then faces LOVER 2 again.

LOVER 1 (with passion)

 Oh! I love you. I do! But I need something more!

LOVER 1 loosens one hand from LOVER 2’s hold and turns to reach toward LOVER 3. LOVER 3 takes the offered hand and steps toward LOVER 1.

LOVER 2 (short pause)

Am I, then, necessary but not sufficient?

LOVER 4 turns toward LOVER 2 and reaches a hand out.

LOVER 2 notices LOVER 4, turns, smiles, and reaches with free hand towards LOVER 4, but then turns to look at LOVER 1 again.

LOVER 2

You are sufficient, but not necessary.

LOVER 2, still looking at LOVER 1, loosens other hand from LOVER 1’s hold, then turns toward LOVER 4 and takes the offered hand. LOVER 4 steps closer to LOVER 2.

LOVER 1 (sadly, almost tearfully, and with disappointment)

Would ... would you leave me then?

LOVER 2 looks back to LOVER 1.

LOVER 2 (flatly)

I don’t love you now.

LOVER 2 steps to the side of LOVER 4 yet continues to look at LOVER 1. LOVER 1 drops the hand of LOVER 3.

LOVER 1 (with fury)

You! You are neither necessary nor sufficient!

LOVER 1 turns and drags LOVER 3 off stage in a huff.

LOVER 2 and LOVER 4 exchange looks and then turn to walk off stage.

(END SCENE)